Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chicago for a day

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Sep 30, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Hello everyone. I'm going to be in Chicago next weekend. I've never been there before, and am very excited to go. I've always wanted to go there. My girlfriend is attending a convention for work, so basically we will have 1 day to see the city.

Since we only will have a day, what are some "must see" attractions? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance :)

2. rugrat

rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    I would stop in Buddy Guy's "Legends" bar. It's a great blues club.

3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Even if you only have a day, you can hit a number of attractions that are in close proximity to each other. If you go downtown Lakeshore Drive, you can hit the Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, and Adler Planetarium within walking distance of each other. You can then stroll along the beach, take a dip in the frigid waters of Lake Michigan, or walk and enjoy the skyline of Chicago. If the beach isn't your thing, then you can take a walk in Grant Park. If you're willing to walk far enough, you can check out Lincoln Park Zoo.

If walking's not your thing, then the bus system is pretty easy to navigate and prompt. I do not recommend driving, unless you're willing to pony up for parking or willing to drive around looking for a coveted parking spot. Either way, you may still have a considerable walk to get to where you want to be.

From that spot there's plenty to do at night, and Buddy Guy's Legends isn't that far away. If you wanna do the Blues thing, I suggest hitting up North Halsted to be able to hit a few famous clubs, in a close proximity. B.L.U.E.S. is a cozy little club with legendary acts in the crowd and stage. Kingston Mines is also on the same street - bigger club but same legendary status. Rosa's is about 4 miles from this area, but another great Blues club. Blue Chicago is also a few miles away.

4. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    "She'd Never Been To Chicago At Night Before The Fall"

Sorry, couldn't resist posting that. It's a lyric from "Chicago at Night" by Spoon. I have nothing to add here, as I have not been to Chicago. I tend to go west to Colorado.

Have fun!

5. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Awesome, thanks man.

I wanna visit the Lakland factory. But, I don't think it's on the top of my girl's things-to-do list. :(

6. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    If you're there on a weekend, the factory is closed. On the other hand, the factory isn't too far from Rosa's and the Blues clubs on Halsted.

I'm don't know where you're staying, or what days so if you wanna give a clue, it will let us help out better. Chicago is a big city.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The Art Institute of Chicago, if you're into that sort of thing. One of the best museums in the country.

8. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    There's also an old school Steakhouse/Cigar Bar type place in Schaumberg called Magnums. Not too far outside of the city and well worth the trip for the food. Ever see a 2 lb lobster TAIL ? They have 'em.

9. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    What are you in the mood for? Food? Music? Art? Nightlife?

10. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    go to Wicker Park/Bucktown. It has all that stuff. Start at the Damen 'el' stop and start bumming. There is tons to see and do.

11. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Yea, that might be usefull info huh? ;)

The hotel is the Hyatt in Deerfield, and the event is at a convention center that I forgot the full name of...Donald something Convention Center.

I'm totally into that sort of thing. I've heard great things about the museums in Chicago.

I like food, alot. Art and Music is always cool. I'm not big on the nightlife anymore.

12. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    You'll need to take a cab or train into downtown then.
    Start out at the Art Institute, and then you can take a long stroll south towards the other museums, park and Lake Michigan. Everything is about a couple miles from each other.

As for places to eat, you gotta have a pizza. Geno's east, Giordanos, or Unos are my suggestion. If you're there on a Sunday, hit the brunch at the 4 seasons. It's an elegant high-tea sort of thing. Your girl will love it, and it's guaranteed to repay you six-fold. ;)

13. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Sweet, sounds like a plan. Thanks Jive1!!

I do want to try some real deep dish Chicago style pizza. Whats the best place?

Any other foods unique to the area I should check out?

14. It's funny that this thread should pop up. My girlfriend and I are getting fed up living in Ottawa (I've been here my whole life) and were talking about after finishing school we would need some change of scenery. For some reason Chicago was one of the first places we talked about going to. :)

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Not to derail, so does the Lakland factory give tours during the week? I think i'm going to have to find the factory assuming i can get there by L. [and if i have the money for the tour]

That's all

16. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Chicago to me has the best food, IMO.

I suggest one of the big three for Chicago style pan pizza - Pizzaria Unos, Geno's East, or Giordano's.

17. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    They are open on weekdays, and they have had no qualms about me stopping by to visit them.

18. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Check out metromix.com for all the latest stuff goin on in Chicago. They have a ton of info on restaurants, places to go, tours, museums, etc.etc.

Also check out Navy Pier there's always fun stuff to do there. Like the Ferris Wheel :) Your girl would like that. Brunch at the 4 seasons on Sunday is an excellent idea...I don't think I'll ever eat so well again. :D

19. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO

Giordano's without a doubt.

IMO of course ;)

Also for Chicago style 'dogs check out Portillo's....although their preperation skills vary from location to location....

20. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    And stop at the Ghirardelli ice cream shop for desert if you're in the area (Pearson St. I think?) Great desert place.