Chick Corea - Got A Match

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by therealting, Jan 18, 2006.

1. After seeing me play at an open jam night, a keyboard approached me to do some fusion trio work, which I said I was definitely interested in doing... I haven't played much fusion out, but I don't have any problem with tunes like "Spectrum" or "Red Baron", and after a little work I can handle basic time signature changes ("Proto Cosmos" etc), so I think it would be a good learning and growth opportunity.

Went over to his house, listened to some of his tunes. They're good tunes, I like them. We chat a bit, jam briefly, try some of his tunes out, I say let's go for it. He gives me a couple of his tunes to learn and the names of a couple other songs to listen to and learn for a rehearsal.

One of them is Chick Corea's "Got A Match".

Is it just me, or is this tune waaaaaaaay hard? I can just about make it through the changes at this point, but the head is too quick... I have it up to about 2/3 speed now and I'm not sure how much closer I can get to full tempo.

So please tell me I wasn't being a wuss by telling him I might have to 'shed this one for a few months! :) Any tips on tackling this piece appreciated too.
  2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the key with this tune for me was just finding fingerings i was comfortable with. the first half is pretty easy but the rest of it took a while to find a position i was truly comfortable with. i eventually came up with something where i could play it at any tempo but its different for everyone. ive seen patitucci,jimmy earl, and mike pope all play this tune and all of them played it differently.
  3. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I played this tune not too long ago on my friend's college senior recital. I agree with narud...get a fingering that you are comfortable with first and foremost. Then it is just a matter of shedding with a metronome. Find the tempo where you start breaking down, and back it up a little bit. Play it until you don't have to worry about it, and then push the metronome forward a click. I bet you could have it in a time much shorter than a coupld of months. Oh yeah, and for the love of god...stay loose and use a lighter touch for the head. Good Luck:)