1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

China Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tom dicus, Nov 27, 2017.

1. tom dicus

tom dicus Supporting Member

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    i suck at bass but will never give up
    Does anyone have experience with the US Ampeg VS the China Ampeg cabinets?
    I want to have the Ampeg sound with my SVT7PRO and my all tube VB2.
    I see an 810 cabinet for sale but it’s a China manufacturer.
    Is there a sound difference between the US Eminence speakers and the “no name” China ones?
    Thanks

2. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Hey Alaska! :D

3. Lovep

Lovep Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    My Ampeg 212av is made in China and it sounds great! I think Ampeg has a competitive advantage over companies like, for example, Aguilar that make a similar product (DB212) that is made in the US for much for $$. For example,

Ampeg SVT-212AV = $700 (China) vs
    Aguilar DB212 = $1050 (US)

Both cabs have very similar specs...one is $300 more expensive.

Buy from a good vendor that has a good return policy...that’s your best insurance...regardless of where the cabinet is made.

Having said allll that...the US Ampeg Heritage 810e is a much better cabinet than the Ampeg 810e that is made in China. These are different cabs (weight, asthetics, etc) though that are priced accordingly.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The two big differences for me are the Chinese cabs are made of plywood instead of OSB chipboard, and the speakers got pretty dark in the early 2000's, and could often be muddy, and once they moved to China, that problem got fixed. Now the US cabs made in the 90's sound great and many of them are holding up very well in spite of the OSB, but I'm not a fan of the American ones from the early 2000's.

REMBO and SirMjac28 like this.
  5. tom dicus

tom dicus Supporting Member

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    i suck at bass but will never give up
    Interesting observation.
    Considering the condition this particular unit is in, I’m going to guess it’s a newer unit.
    It looks brand new.
    Could this cabinet, with the over seas speakers, sound as Ampeg-like as any other Ampeg cabinet in new like condition?
    I plan to use my VB2 as my main amp for this cab.
    Thanks for the great insights from everyone!

6. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    Yes, and I think you may be a bit too hung up on the import vs domestic thing.

Ampeg hasn't to my recollection, released any NON-Ampeg sounding cabs ever. Ampeg sounds like Ampeg be it domestic, import, or any number or combination of speaker sizes. While I understand that's a vague statement, what I mean is their 15's or 10's or 12's sound similar to their other 15's, 10's or 12's and all retain much of the characteristics we've come to expect from them. You won't plug into one and think, "wow, this sounds like a (some other brand) cab".

As always, try before you buy.

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    By no name I think you mean also Eminence. They're Eminence made OEM drivers, just as they were before. Different cone material, apparently, but that started before the move, same with the plywood vs OSB.

LeftyD likes this.
  8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The made in China 810 cabinets are excellent. Plywood construction. Good Eminence speakers, not budget models. I’d take a newer model over an older SLM one any day.

The speakers should have Eminence codes on a magnet label. If not, maybe the speakers were changed.

They should look like the one below.

A303CD25-EA07-4C8B-B7A0-3957A043B2F2.

SirMjac28 and DaveDeVille like this.
  9. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i can tell you that from my own experience , the SVT-212av cab has been a workhorse .
    it sounds great and has been very reliable .
    i have no concerns about the fact that it was built in China ...
    2016-01-08%2018.19.43_zpsvrvbnrvj.
    :cool:

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm right there with you as long as we're talking about sealed cabs. A ported 610 or the 410 hlf sound exactly nothing lime a sealed Ampeg cab. But all the classic style sealed cabs sound very similar to my ears. The 2-15 doesn't react as quickly but I actually like that. :cool:

11. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    Lol yes, I agree :thumbsup:. Unfortunately I type faster than I can think at times. I should have stated their sealed cabs are similar to their sealed, and ported similar to ported. Often, even their ported cabs are similar in flavor to their sealed stuff, but with an extended low end presence which can wash out the mids and upper mids if one isn't careful with the EQ.

two fingers likes this.
  12. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Beautiful rigs!!!!!!! Just out of curiosity, which do you like better between the fliptop and the heritage?

13. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I have a newer (about 4-5 years old) 810e and and older USA 810 that is NOT an e, to me the only difference is the weight. The older one is heavier than the newer one but I have not noticed any difference sound wise on stage.

Horrorble likes this.
  14. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

thanks , but it's not really fair to judge an SVT rig and an old B15 rig ...
    PM me if you want to discuss .
    :cool:

15. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Though I understand they've gotten better, to my ears the 410HLF had no apparent Ampeg DNA regarding tone. Woof city.

JB1962 and 3rdstone like this.
  16. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    I had a USA 810 from about 2004 and now I have a Chinese 810 that's just a few years old. Build quality is the same as far as I can tell (both built great), but the Chinese cab sounds way better to me. It's punchier than the USA one. Both have their pros & cons, and the rest I think is just empty nationalistic silliness. I'd try both if possible and see what your ear likes. I did like my USA one, but I prefer the slightly brighter quality of the Chinese one. I'll also echo that the Chinese made 212AV is absolutely killer as well. Good luck!

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    610 does. I used one on a gig a couple years ago and was blown away how much it sounded like the 810e.

carsbybigd and two fingers like this.
  18. Arrow

Arrow

Sep 10, 2013
    The Netherlands
    I own a China 810 AV from 2007 and it is the best sounding cab I've ever heard. That includes the Heritage...but that is a matter of taste. Very punchy, deep and growly!

19. This might help, but then again, maybe not.

YMMV

Enjoy!

Moosehead1966 and Maxfenderbass like this.
  20. I guess we're only talking SLM vs. Loud China? I had a 70's Ampeg 8x10 that was amazing. However the original drivers blew, sadly, and I replaced them with a set of Eminence 810's. Way better at high volumes. It sounded so good, in fact, that our recording studio bought it from me when I had my custom cabinets made. The best part is: I still get to record with it!

Red Planet likes this.