1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Choice of amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dead silence, Jul 14, 2014.

1. dead silence

dead silence

Aug 7, 2010
    I fill the low end for an otherwise semi pro level Praise Band at church. I would say I play bass but I don't think I'm there yet. I've played acoustic bass for years but I'm still learning the electric. During services, my bass is run through the PA system but we play some outside concerts. I had a Peavey TKO 115 that believe it or not, filled Thunder Valley at Bristol. My son needed it for his church band so I'm shopping again.

My local music shop has a Peavey TNT 115 BW that's loaded with features, chorus, black widow etc on consignment for $425. They also have a new Peavey 700 Tour for $499 and a new Peavey 410 Cabinet for $599.

My question is since the TKO filled the bill at 150 watts I feel the TNT probably would too at 160 watts. However, do you think I would be impressed by the 700 & 410 combo enough to justify the $700 difference?

To quote a thread from this forum. If you're on a budget, buy the most used Peavey you can get for the money you have because it's pretty good stuff, doesn't hold it's value very well a becomes a decent deal.

Comments please

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Have you tried other rigs?

3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    $425 seems steep for a used peavey tnt. I'm sure (at least I hope) it's a fairly new one in good shape, but you could get one of those for $150 almost any day of the week on CL if you're willing to go a bit oldschool. But also, if that $800+ is within your range, shop around a bit, you can find something more powerful, and lighter, likely even smaller, that performs as well or better.

4. dead silence

dead silence

Aug 7, 2010
    There are dozens of threads on here about favorites or "the best" this or that, but I'll ask anyway. Basscooker.......... what do YOU like in that price range? I'll be in Knoxville this weekend so I might be able to shop a little. Our local shops are quite limited.

And no, I haven't had the chance to play other rigs, but I'll probably take my bass with me this weekend on our trip.

5. raventepes

raventepes

Jan 7, 2012
    Reno, NV
    I'd look closely at the Ashdown Rootmaster series...

6. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    [​IMG] 110280507 [​IMG]
    BASS AMP Neox-212T
    Used Genz Benz Neox-212T Bass Cabinet
    [​IMG]
    Details »
    Amps
    Guitar Center Katy
    Katy, Texas 77494
    281-394-5390
    View Store's Used Inventory
    Contact Store
    Now Only

$449.99

[​IMG] 110196758 BASS AMP MB Fusion 500W
    Used Gallien-Krueger MB Fusion 500W Bass Amp H
    [​IMG]
    Details »
    Amps
    Guitar Center Sherman Oaks
    Sherman Oaks, California 91423
    818-990-8332
    View Store's Used Inventory
    Contact Store
    Now Only

$399.99

McFarlin and rodl2005 like this.
  7. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Prolly about $900 ~$950 to your door.

8. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
  9. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    There's always Musicians Friend, Sweetwater, and Amazon for new stuff, too.

The classifieds here are always brimming with nice deals, also.

There's nothing wrong, exactly, with the rig you mentioned in the OP, just that for $925 there are better ways to go than a 1x15 combo and a 4x10 that are big and heavy. The stuff I've posted here took just a few clicks to find, so there could be stuff really much better suited for you, and local also.

10. dead silence

dead silence

Aug 7, 2010

I just watched a video on the Ashdown web site on the 420 Head and the 210 Cab and WOW, what a versatile head. Jazz, slap and sythe sounds all from one head.

11. They'll all do the versatile thing. Ashdown is cool but if rather the GK & Genz Benz stuff listed above.
    Great gear. Great quality. Great sound and very lightweight.

12. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL
    GK and Genz Benz are both great products. I have no experience with the GK micro's but played through a 700RB-II for a while and I've got to say It's an awesome head and can be had used at a fairly low price if you look around. The GB NeoX 212T I do currently own and it will put most 410 cabs to shame. It's light, loud, and has an awesome tone.

13. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    That first rig I posted from GC used pages is like $1500+ if you were to buy it all new. (not that you CAN get the Genz Benz new anymore)

BTW act fast, at $449 I might just buy that cab myself.

14. dead silence

dead silence

Aug 7, 2010
    Well.......... I either got the deal of the century or took a huge gamble, only time will tell. We vacationed for a couple of days in the Smokies and ended up at Guitar Center in Knoxville this afternoon. I played some Little Mark III's, some GK's, Fender, Acoustic, and a used Peavey Tour 450 with a used Peavey VB410 (4 10's with a horn and a volume control). This Peavey stuff would stop your heart. I befriended a couple of customers, who turned out to be Praise Band players also, to play through it while I twisted knobs and slid the equalizer trims, and they too were impressed. I got the head, which has some road wear, for $199 and the cabinet for $79. I know the cab is like moving a refrigerator, but we only gig about 3 or 4 times a year outside the church and I couldn't justify $1600 vs $305 including tax. Yea or Oh Crap!!!!!!!!!!!

McFarlin likes this.
  15. McFarlin

McFarlin Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Well done

16. That rig should work quite nicely, well done!

17. dead silence

dead silence

Aug 7, 2010
    Oh!! I forgot the best part. Since I gave my combo to my son, I don't have a practice amp anymore. I tried a Fender Rumble 25 which was price at $149, and for a little fellow, it had an awesome sound. When he brought one out of stock, "Good News, It's on SALE for $99. I had a Goooooooood Day!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone.