Choose Your Muse

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassfacekevin, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Hey, I was just noticing today, does anyone out there have a consistant muse that always helps them think of musical ideas? Mine is a Crappy crappy crappy MIM Fender Jazz that's on perma-loan from a friend of mine. The action is terrible, there's relief for miles, the nut broke, so there's no sustain on an open E, the knobs crackle when plugged in, and theres cracks everywhere on it. However, for some reason, whenever I'm in a slump, I pick up that bass, and start jamming on it, and ideas just spring out of nowhere. I start playing better, more articulatedly, more origional ideas. I don't get it! Anyone else go though that sort of thing?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not sure really. I know i noodle around on my fretless sometimes when i feel like being expressive and sometimes that gives me ideas, but generally what helps me out most is playing with my drummer. I write most of my stuff with him.
  3. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I get more useful bass ideas from playing drums or marimba than I do from playing any bass.
  4. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Psychological issues there, bud. :eyebrow:

I have an old Ibanez, I don't know what model it is, it's a "beater" but I have fun plunking away on it sometimes. Maybe the change of pace, maybe you just feel freer inside about going ahead and pounding on that bass cause it's nothing special, only a tool? Basically what I'm saying is, I don't have a clue! :cool:
  5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Well for me it is not a matter of the bass, for me the circumstances of my life really make the difference my best pieces came to me while i was too worried about something or somethings, but somehow when im really concentrated on playing is like hitting my head against the wall several times.
  6. JohnnyA

Aug 21, 2004
    my "muse" is usually leaving my bass alone for a week or so, not playing at all. when i come back i feel fresh and have some decent ideas.