1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Choosing a Bass

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by Sterling2007, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Sterling2007

Sterling2007

Sep 5, 2008
    I am interested in upgrading bass guitars, I currently play a Mexican made fender 4 string jazz guitar. I play at a church on a praise and worship team and with a contemporary Christan music groupe. Our styles of music vary from an easy listening, to hip hop, rock, heavy rock, and an occasional country style. so I need a bass that is fairly versetile. I have played a Lakland Daryl Jones 5 string with a taped maple neck and really liked it. The feel of the neck was fantastic, and tone seemed good.

At times I will be plugged directly into sound board, others going thru an amp. I have been told that passive pick ups have more character and personality to their sound, is this true ? Is there more of a problem with the passive pickups humming ?

I am also considering the following : Laklands 44-01 / 44-02 / 55-01 / 55-02 What would be your recomendation ? It appears most of the big name players have stuck with a 4 string.

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    I dunno, man. That's a toughie. Lots of church guys rock a 5 string because they need the range, so I don't know if that's part of your gig or not. All those Laklands are great, but I've never tried any of those myself, so I don't really know. I'd post on the Lakland forum. GREAT info over there, and you can get a really good idea of what would be a good scene for your first Lakland.

JMJ