Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chord Progression

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by gettingthere, Apr 12, 2004.

1. gettingthere

gettingthere

Apr 12, 2004
    Hey All

I'm looking for at least 3, maybe 4, chords to go over this melody progression: G F# E F# D E D A G. It's in G. Thanks!

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    While you are playing your riff have the guitarist pick a few of those notes which you want to reinforce and have him play those chords. Like the first G, one of the F#, one of the D, etc. If it isn't the sound you were looking for then experiment a little.

That way you are using your riff to walk him through the progression.

3. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    it all depends really on how fast/where the notes are played and rhythm, but you could group a few of the notes off, like which notes fall in a bar, or half a bar, or whatever, then see what chords those are from, for example

G F# E F#

this could be a Gmaj7, the E giving the feeling of suspension for a period of time before you go back to the F#. i would be tempted to have the first guitarist play a full Gmaj7, then a second guitar play a Bmin an octave higher, bu thats my personal taste.

on the other hand, given you play F# more often it could be an F#min7(b5) chord, which when played in the upper register of a guitar can be verrrrry funky, and the bass could be a funky kinda line.

or you could just play a staight G and rock out :>

some people may wanna correct any mistakes here, i'm learning too, and these are ideas i'd try out.

4. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    From my limited knowledge of key sigs, I'd say that your progression is gotta be in a G Major Key sig. I say major, because I don't know anything about minor keys, but since it begins and ends on G I say G major. Anyways, I'm not gonna figure out your problem for you. What you need to do is figure out what chords belong in the G major key, there is a chord for each note in the scale. ie: G major, F#b5m7, D Major, E dom 7? ... somebody correct me if I am wrong...

5. gettingthere

gettingthere

Apr 12, 2004
    I would have done that, but thats not what I'm looking for. The line that I wrote in my inital post is a bass line to a song, but I don't want the guitar copying my line as we go through. So I want a few chords that the guitarists could play over my line. I realize that lines are mostly written *after* the inital chords, but I didn't do that. :rolleyes:

6. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Guess I wasn't too clear on what you wanted. I assume you know what basic 7 chords go with what degrees in a key, but now I think you want some alternate chords? Big subject, some common subsitutions would be maj9 chords, minor9 chords, sus2 chords, sus4 chords, I'm not going to go into 11 and 13 chords. Don't roll you eyes at me ;) , from what I know of guitar you could subsititue a basic major chord for a maj 9 chord, minor 7 for a minor 9 chord, and throw in sus2 and sus4 chords whereever they sound good. There is a great deal of chords that can be subsituted for another. As I say, I'm not really clear of what you are asking seems to me you want your guitarist to vary more chords, then I recommend any chord theory lessons or advice, and since no body else has responded I don't have anything to go by except your initial question...

7. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    As stated above, it really is gotta be a question of how often you want your guitarist playing chords. Do you want a new chord played on each note in the melody or slowly moving chords in back of what you are playing lead melody to? You give no music link or time / rythmn signature so it's kinda hard to post some chords that might fit what you want. At any rate, this seems to be more of a guitarists point of view than a bass perspective.

8. Groove_Master

Groove_Master Guest

Feb 29, 2004
    Turkey
    i need tempo,rhytm sig as every1 but you can use that chords : Gmaj,Am,Bm,Cmaj,D7,Em,F#min7(b5)

9. gettingthere

gettingthere

Apr 12, 2004
    OK, sorry for taking a while to respond. To the best of my knowledge, its in 4/4. I don't know what you mean by a rythmn sig though...

10. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I tried to help but I don't think I can unless you were to play your bassline and I was playing guitar trying to come up with something that was "cool." Sorry... Really if you haven't come up with something yet just keep experiementing. :D

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Umm..."rhythm signature"? Is this just another name for time sig?

12. Groove_Master

Groove_Master Guest

Feb 29, 2004
    Turkey
    lol no its my terrible english :) i meant rhythm,signature. seperated