1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chords like C/F

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Sten, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Sten

Sten

Nov 18, 2001
    Estonia
    I found a nice acoustic song on www.mysongbook.com and was just thinking to try to create a bassline over it[I also added the file, which can be opened with a file called Guitar Pro if any of you should have it; the bassline in it is my pathetic attempt at supporting that tune, so you can mute it ;)]. The thing is, it has some weird chords in it. Well, I'm sure they are actually very common, just that I haven't had a change to familiarize myself with written music yet(If anyone knows a place on the 'net, where I could find easier tunes to practice reading bass clef - that is welcome too).

I got puzzled by this
    C/F written on top of a bar. The guitar chord there is xx3010 - so FGCE. I imagine the root for the bassline should be C, but why is that F written there?

There's also a Bm/-5 chord(x20431) which puzzles me even more. -5?

The song is in Cmaj according to the composer. Also the chord progression (1 per bar) goes like this: C G Am F C/F Dm Bm/5- Dm F G Dm Bm/5- C C Am C if that means anything on how to handle these chords. Also, if you have anything else to point out regarding the progression, please do so.

I probably should add that there's another guitar doing melody over this all, but it's a bit too complicated for me to take apart theory-wise I'm afraid.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    It's called figured bass, and what it means is a C major chord with an F in the bass. Play the F.

3. Sten

Sten

Nov 18, 2001
    Estonia
    Thanks.

What about the Bm/-5? I have no idea what the -5 stands for.

4. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    It stands for flat 5. If there's a slash, it's written incorrectly.

Get yourself a theory book that covers chord symbols. You're going to need it.

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The key of C has no flats or sharps, the notes are: C, D, E, F, G, A, B. The chords in the key of C are: C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, Bm-5.
    -5 means that the 5th is lowered 1/2 step (the F note in the Bm-5; you would not expect to find F# in the key of C).

6. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Only there's no reference to key. If I see Bm(most likely 7)-5, I'm thinking it's a ii chord in the key of Am.

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Perhaps you didn't see a key reference, I saw one quite clearly:

8. Sten

Sten

Nov 18, 2001
    Estonia
    Thank you for the kind reply Turock. Things just got a lot clearer.

9. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Well, sure - now I see it :) That's a pretty odd progression...

10. oh, so i guess the bm/5- would be diminished, as that's what fits diatonically.

11. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    well, the triad is diminished. Extended, it would be a minor 7 flat 5

12. Sten

Sten

Nov 18, 2001
    Estonia
    By the way, noticing you pointed out it could be Bm7-5 instead I doublechecked the tune. It was indeed written Bm/-5 there. Also the chord was x20431 which isn't a 7 chord from what I can tell, so I think the slash just got lost in there.

As for the progression, it may be odd but it doesn't sound too odd ;)

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    That gives you B D B D F, which is just a B diminished triad, no 7th. But Bm/-5 is a silly way of writing it.

Who wrote this chart?

14. Sten

Sten

Nov 18, 2001
    Estonia
    It's just a song I found on the net as a Guitar Pro file. The tune was the tabbers own composition.