Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chords like C/F

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Sten, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Sten

Sten

Nov 18, 2001
    Estonia
    I found a nice acoustic song on www.mysongbook.com and was just thinking to try to create a bassline over it[I also added the file, which can be opened with a file called Guitar Pro if any of you should have it; the bassline in it is my pathetic attempt at supporting that tune, so you can mute it ;)]. The thing is, it has some weird chords in it. Well, I'm sure they are actually very common, just that I haven't had a change to familiarize myself with written music yet(If anyone knows a place on the 'net, where I could find easier tunes to practice reading bass clef - that is welcome too).

I got puzzled by this
    C/F written on top of a bar. The guitar chord there is xx3010 - so FGCE. I imagine the root for the bassline should be C, but why is that F written there?

There's also a Bm/-5 chord(x20431) which puzzles me even more. -5?

The song is in Cmaj according to the composer. Also the chord progression (1 per bar) goes like this: C G Am F C/F Dm Bm/5- Dm F G Dm Bm/5- C C Am C if that means anything on how to handle these chords. Also, if you have anything else to point out regarding the progression, please do so.

I probably should add that there's another guitar doing melody over this all, but it's a bit too complicated for me to take apart theory-wise I'm afraid.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    It's called figured bass, and what it means is a C major chord with an F in the bass. Play the F.

3. Sten

Sten

Nov 18, 2001
    Estonia
    Thanks.

What about the Bm/-5? I have no idea what the -5 stands for.

4. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    It stands for flat 5. If there's a slash, it's written incorrectly.

Get yourself a theory book that covers chord symbols. You're going to need it.

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The key of C has no flats or sharps, the notes are: C, D, E, F, G, A, B. The chords in the key of C are: C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, Bm-5.
    -5 means that the 5th is lowered 1/2 step (the F note in the Bm-5; you would not expect to find F# in the key of C).

6. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Only there's no reference to key. If I see Bm(most likely 7)-5, I'm thinking it's a ii chord in the key of Am.

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Perhaps you didn't see a key reference, I saw one quite clearly:

8. Sten

Sten

Nov 18, 2001
    Estonia
    Thank you for the kind reply Turock. Things just got a lot clearer.

9. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Well, sure - now I see it :) That's a pretty odd progression...

10. oh, so i guess the bm/5- would be diminished, as that's what fits diatonically.

11. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    well, the triad is diminished. Extended, it would be a minor 7 flat 5

12. Sten

Sten

Nov 18, 2001
    Estonia
    By the way, noticing you pointed out it could be Bm7-5 instead I doublechecked the tune. It was indeed written Bm/-5 there. Also the chord was x20431 which isn't a 7 chord from what I can tell, so I think the slash just got lost in there.

As for the progression, it may be odd but it doesn't sound too odd ;)

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    That gives you B D B D F, which is just a B diminished triad, no 7th. But Bm/-5 is a silly way of writing it.

Who wrote this chart?

14. Sten

Sten

Nov 18, 2001
    Estonia
    It's just a song I found on the net as a Guitar Pro file. The tune was the tabbers own composition.