1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chords

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Lloyd Christmas, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Hi, this may be a silly question, but I am writing a song now and I have the bass line down, and I also know what I want the rhythm for guitar to be. I am just having a difficult time finding the write chord for the guitar. The bassline goes E G A A# B (maybe it's not proper to write A and A#, but you get the idea). As far as my limited knowledge goes, that sounds like a blues scale to me and I am looking for an E chord that will sound good along with that. I've tried quite a few different chords but none of them give the sound I want. E major fits, but it is nearly funky enough :D . Any suggestions?

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    E7 or E7b9

3. E7#9 Em7

Try the Em7 spelled E B D G from lowest to highest note. It makes for a little different color than a typical Em7 voicing.

I wouldn't use Emaj because you're playing G natural in the bass. I guess it could work but it's hard to know without hearing the feel you're putting in the bass.

4. OK, thanks a lot guys. E7#9 works nicely.