Chorus pedal quest and the EBS UniChorus Studio Edition

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by laklandplayer, Mar 20, 2017.

1. laklandplayer

laklandplayer Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2001
    USA - Memphis, TN
    I've owned one of original Swedish made UniChorus pedals (the one where the input and outputs are backwards) since 1998. It lives on another pedal board and sounds great still today.

I've never been a Boss chorus fan and went shopping for another chorus. I bought the TC Corona Mini, the EHX Bass Clone, and the NUX CH3, the chorus pedal that Hartke rebrands.

I find the TC exhausting, just trying finding a good Toneprint that I can use. Even with the bass toneprints, it still seems better geared for guitar. It doesn't sound bad, just not great.

The EHX Bass Clone is a cool concept with the crossover functionality but it has a funny bump in the clock that sets the speed rate.. the chorus effect sounds like it has a flat tire. It's not smooth and I took it back.

The NUX is actually pretty good except the one I have is kinda noisy. On a live gig it would be acceptable but not for the kind work that I tend to do. But then, what would you expect for $24.00?

So, I bit the bullet and ordered the new version of the EBS UniChorus, now labeled the Studio Edition. The first thing that I noticed was the weight of the pedal. It really feels solid and substantial. Next, the finish on it is a gloss ebony that looks great as to the attention to detail.

I took it to my pit gig, put it on my pedal board and was immediately pleased with what I heard or didn't hear...the pedal is dead quiet in the on position.

In a rush, I worked with it and settled on a Pulse Modulation setting. I'm playing all electric in the musical Sideshow because there is no room for my upright. I have a lot of written passages with the string section and the chorus makes the electric blend better with the section.

I've got to say from my experience, EBS still owns the bass chorus space when it comes to pedals. It is expensive at $249.99 but I found it for $199.00 online, still expensive.

The new model sounds as good as my old original version but is a more refined device.
    It has an internal dry/effect "blend" trim pot that comes factory set at 50%, I wish it were external but it's not a deal breaker.

It can run on 9-12 Volts and has a over voltage protector just in case you accidentally plug it into an 18 Volt spot on your power supply, all manufacturers should do this as this can be an expensive accident.

Great job EBS!

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    They were a contender for me as well. Right up until the point I tried my Providence Anadime Bass Chorus. My chorus needs are different than yours, so YMMV.

3. laklandplayer

laklandplayer Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2001
    USA - Memphis, TN
    I've never heard of the Anadime Bass Chorus, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Driven Crane likes this.
  4. Some reason you have. There´s many Toneprint with sublte choruses. So this is the main reason by wich I ended up creating my own tone print.

By the way I´m glad with my TC Corona. Though I´ll give a try to the Studio Edition.:thumbsup:

5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    To be more specific of my needs: I'm almost always after a shimmery 80s, intentionally a little cheesy type of chorus. It has it in spades. Your needs sound quite a bit different than mine. My more succinct point should have been that there are a lot of different types of chorus voicings and lots of cool pedals for each. Great time to be buying effects as a player :D

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022