Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chris Cheney's Overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tplyons, Feb 10, 2004.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Looking at Chris Cheney's Tone on track 4 of Jane's Addiction's Strays, about 1:26 into Price I Pay. What overdrive is this? Most of the pedals he uses are in fact very expensive and I've never had the opportunity to try them. What did he use?

He lists in his rig:
    Prescription Electronics Depth Charge Overdrive
    Z Vex Wooly Mammoth Overdrive
    Budda Phatbass tube Overdrive
    MXR M-80 DI Overdrive
    Big Muff π

Which does he use in this song?

2. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    There's a bit of envelope filtering going on, if my ears don't deceive me, as well as the distortion. I couldn't tell you which distortion he used though. I like his tone though, and he fits in well with the new Janes stuff - different from Eric Avery (he plays a P with a pick ferfuxaxe!), but fitting in just as well.

The only one of those pedals I've tried is the Muff, so I dunno.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, definitely some filtering going on.

I don't think it's the zvex, not an extreme enough sound. I also don't think it's the budda - too heavy a sound and not as middy as I found the budda to be.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yeah, I heard the filtering, but the rest of that is really getting to me... I did read through the issue of BP that he adorns the cover of, and if you read carefully it says that "Much of his thick, chorused tone comes courtesy of Boss Synth, Buddha Tube Overdrive and MXR DI Overdrive pedals."

Could it be the MXR?

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Could be, I was able to approximate something like it on my MXR with blend around halfway and gain round 40-45%

6. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Sorry, really old thread I know but just came across it and thought it worth posting.

I think you're not far off with these settings. Pull the blend much below 12:00 and the mid scoop from the color button gets too pronounced. Gain at 12:00 and above is really in fuzz territory too so around 10:00 to 11:00 sounds gritty. It sounds like the mids are boosted a bit too to about 2:00 to make sure it cuts through.