1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chris Wood and his Hofner

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jongor, Feb 17, 2008.

1. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Check out Chris in this Youtube vid, killer tone and chops!

Love this guy....makes me want to get a Hofner!

2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    yeah that is a great round tone that he has with that Hof... there are some great re-issues being made that are lass expensive that the originals.

Last Wednesday I saw Chris' brother (Oliver) perform @ the Northside tavern... there is tons of talent in their family.

3. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    That's like the 20th time I've watched that video. It's great!

I played out with my Jay Turser violin bass for the first time last night. It's amazing how big the thing sounds. I'm contemplating using it as my main bass for a while. I originally bought it to have something super light to mess around with at home, but I just can't deny how great it sounds.

El Pelusa likes this.
  4. TeeMartin

TeeMartin

Jul 18, 2006
    The bass sounds great. I can't listen to more than a minute of that vid at a time though because of that guitar.

5. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

6. Lewis7789

Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    I bought the Epiphone version and put some flats on it and that bass sounds great. I wanted to get that Chris Wood tone for some tunes. I played a gig last night with my upright, my MM Fender Jazz, my Pedulla PentaBuzz and the little Epiphone and I got so many compliments on the tone of the Epi, the cheapest of the group! ($260 new from GC)

Some day I'll get myself a real Hofner! heh-heh...

7. lm183902

lm183902

Aug 19, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Not a Scofield fan huh?

8. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Different strokes for different folks, I guess, I can only enjoy jazz in smallish doses but I must say I kind of dug John's guitar playing in that clip.

9. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    Yeah, John really loves his chorus and it can be a bit tiresome at times (over the many years). Chris is one of the main reasons I sought out a Höfner. It just so happened that when I had the money to invest in one a '72 Höfner 5000/1 Deluxe showed up at a local shop and I grabbed it for about $1,000.

It's had major repair work done before I got it and needs some more now. I haven't played it in quite some time which is too bad because it's a bad bass! I've had more than one engineer exclaim that it was the best bass tone they've ever heard and ask me to bring it every time I had a session there. Its narrow string spacing takes some time to get used to if you're comfy on a regularly-spaced instrument but it's well worth the extra effort.

Interestingly enough, the height of its use was when my band The Yards was regularly opening for Scofield during his Überjam tour. On one gig I couldn't use the Höfner because The Fox Theatre in Boulder's FOH was so damned loud that it was feeding back so I had to use my '57 RI P. That was the only time its hollow construction was a bad thing. I want to have it restored but I'm afraid it'll be costly. We shall see.

El Pelusa likes this.
  10. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I like scofield a lot, but the stuff he way playing in that clip just grated on me....:mad:

11. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Great Vid. I'm a big fan of MMW especially with Sco. I love that B-3 sound too!!!! Been looking for a Billy Martin-esque drummer around here for a while too.

12. I've got this on my ipod. Wood holds my attention with his killer bass playing right up until medeski's organ solo. :O

13. XavierG

XavierG In Memoriam

14. freshbass

freshbass

Jul 17, 2004
    vermont
    sweetwater has a black friday sale right now; black ct hofner thats basically 1/2 price. i got one. better hurry.

15. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Which model is the ct?