1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Christmas songs that you actually like?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Ubersheist, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Ok, I admit it... I hate 90% of the Christmas songs out there. My Grinch-iness and cynicism generally makes me loath their syrupy sweetness. Truth be told, I'm really just not a fan of Christmas anyway. I hate the gift-buying process so much that it really takes away from the good parts (family, friends, and, of course, the food).

However, I try to stay positive when "Holly, Jolly Christmas" comes on the the PA system in whatever Big Box store I happen to be at where I'm trying to blow my money on crap that no one really wants. I try to remember the good ones. Here's some of the ones that I genuinely do like:

- "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" - so simple but beautiful at the same time.
    - "Little Town of Bethlehem" - same reason
    - "Song for a Winter's Night" by Gordon Lightfoot (so long as you listen to any version then his - not a fan of the original)
    - Also, I'm not sure how anyone could not like Bing Crosby's version of "White Christmas"

What's yours?

2. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    I'll Be Home for Christmas and Good King Wenceslas are my favorites. I also like Carol of the Bells. If the Nutcracker Ballet counts, then almost anything from that is golden, IMO.

3. muljoe

muljoe

Mar 8, 2011
    Boston
    Anything off of Charlie Brown's Christmas. It's all amazing and the bass player is awesome!

4. Christmas music as heard on the radio mostly just makes me want to go postal. There are some good jazz Christmas albums though, and as mentioned Nutcracker is pretty much awesome throughout. If I were going to play one, I think it would be God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, as it could be adapted for just about any style with a good bass part.

5. I like Carol Of The Bells (August Burns Red's version)

6. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
  7. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I'm thinking that was Fred Marshall or Monty Budwig, but can't say for sure. Great music that recalls great times in my own childhood and probably lots of other people's as well. Love Vince Guaraldi.

Also some soundtrack tunes to the specials:

There's Always Tomorrow from Rudolph

The Grinch Song

I Am Not Just A Misfit from Rudolph

And some regular tunes...

Merry Christmas Darling- The Carpenters. Really only the ending (after the pause)

This Christmas- Donny Hathaway

I Believe In Father Christmas- Greg Lake

Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree- Brenda Lee

Merry Xmas (War Is Over)- John Lennon

Simply Having A Wonderful Christmastime- Paul Mc

I can take or leave almost any classical music, but I absolutely enjoy the Christmas classical stuff this time of year.

8. Hawkbone

Hawkbone

Mar 23, 2009
    Newfoundland
    Christmas tunes drive me nuts for the most part, especially when performers get cute with them. Haven't heard a country or pop christmas tune that I could stomach, except for one or two that Cash did. Elvis did ok on a few. Have heard some good jazz versions, and prefer jazz xmas tunes to anything. When done right, 'Silent Night', 'Oh Holy Night', 'Good King Wenceslas', 'White Christmas' are good. I like to play Silent Night on electric guitar, one verse clean, the 2nd dirty as hell!

9. Hey talkbass...I'm really happy for the songs you picked..and imma let you finish...but Nat King Cole had the best Christmas Song OF ALL TIME!! :bag:

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Ya the peanuts Christmas specials had good music ...

Pretty much all other Christmas music sucks.

I feel sorry for people who work retail and have to listen to that crap at their job.

11. thobie

thobie

Sep 4, 2011
    i like the melodies of the baroque esque church hymn stuff. interesting tonality

12. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Let It Snow by Dean Martin

13. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Winter Wonderland - Annie Lennox
    2000 Miles - Chrissie Hynde
    The entire A Dave Brubeck Christmas

14. That's a good one. It has lots of nice tension

Just in the fact that it's a carol, that song reminds me of "Coventry Carol." When you get a good chamber or madrigal choir singing it, it's exquisitely beautiful. Here's a decent example: Hayley Westenra- The Coventry Carol - YouTube

15. but seriously though, Donny Hathaway's This Christmas, the Charlie Brown christmas album and Nat King Cole's christmas album are the usually the only ones I can tolerate without fail. Seems like everytime I walked into the supermarket this month they're playing a lame cover of "this christmas" and not the original...sigh

16. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    As someone else mentioned, "Wonderful Christmas Time," by Paul McCartney. Listening to it right now, in fact!

17. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Slade-So here it is...
    Pogues and Kirsty McColl-Fairytale of New York.

With the latter, any song that starts 'It was Christmas Eve in the drunk tank' has got to be great...