1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale Christopher's Workshop Busetto DB304T Price DROP

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by Jeffrey Wash, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Jeffrey Wash

Jeffrey Wash Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Santa Cruz
    Price:
    Strings:
    Up for sale:

Christopher’s Workshop Double Bass “Busetto” model
    Model DB304T
    Made in 2004

From Christopher website:

Hand carved spruce top with inlaid purfling, laminated flamed maple back and sides; fully arched; hand carved maple neck and scroll
    Ebony fingerboard - the best ebony from West Africa
    Adjustable bridge
    (Bridge has been upgraded – see pics)
    Stained hardwood tailpiece
    Single brass machines
    Finished in medium to dark amber brown with shading; semi gloss.

The End Pin has been upgraded, installed by Lemur Music.
    Bridge adjusters added, Full Circle pickup and full setup by luthier Paul Hostetter.
    Currently strung with Spirocore Bass Orchestra strings.
    There are a couple of small dings on the edges of lower bout, a small but noticeable (fresh!) chip on back lower edge, just above the endpin – see pics. Nothing that can't be touched up. The bass is in otherwise excellent condition.

I primarily play electric fretted and fretless bass. I bought the Christopher new in 2004, have played it on maybe a half dozen gigs and a few recordings (it records beautifully). The rest of the time it has been standing in my little home studio (smoke free), patiently waiting to be played.

It comes with a lightly padded, black nylon bag. Nothing fancy, in good condition, having been little used.

I would like to avoid the hassle of shipping an upright, would prefer a local sale. I live in Santa Cruz, CA, so anywhere in central California Bay Area could be considered local; I don’t mind driving a reasonable distance to meet up with a serious buyer.

9 pics below. Price lowered: $ 2500. IMG_1267. IMG_1278. IMG_1262. IMG_1265. IMG_1267. IMG_1315. IMG_1294. IMG_1287. IMG_1282.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  2. jazzizded

jazzizded Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Sausalito, CA
    string length? D or Eb neck?

3. Jeffrey Wash

Jan 2, 2011
    Santa Cruz
    String length is slightly over 41 inches. 41 “proud” as a contractor friend of mine would say! Eb neck.

groucho mark likes this.
  4. Jeffrey Wash

Jan 2, 2011
    Santa Cruz
    One last price adjustment - lowered to 2500.

5. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    very nice bass; wish that I were closer (in CO)....

Jeffrey Wash and ECWKiarro like this.
  6. She's a beauty.

Jeffrey Wash likes this.
  7. I used to have the 504 series of this bass. Great instrument.

Jeffrey Wash likes this.
  8. Interested in any trades?

9. Jeffrey Wash

Jan 2, 2011
    Santa Cruz
    Hey Dylan - I don’t doubt what you say of the 504! These basses are a great value, IMHO. I’m not looking to trade on this, need to stay the course and sell. But thanks for the interest.

10. groucho mark

groucho mark

Mar 27, 2012
    What do these list for new?

11. Jeffrey Wash

Jan 2, 2011
    Santa Cruz
    Hey Groucho - At the time I first posted this bass for sale, Google searching got me in the ballpark of 3500 - 3600. I think that's what the new ones go for in this style and finish. I purchased new for 2700, in 2004, and then upgraded bridge, endpin and installed the pickup. Considering condition of the bass, the upgrades and the increase in street price (as near as I can tell) 2500 has seemed a reasonably fair price to be asking. I'm willing to keep an open mind about the current market value - let me know if you know something I don't!

12. Jeffrey Wash

Jan 2, 2011
    Santa Cruz
    I've had this posted at 2500 for several months, have been in no big hurry to sell. However, my wife and I have decided to sell our house and make a move and I would really like to avoid the logistics of relocating with the upright bass. To that end, consider me a 'more motivated seller'! I have dropped price another 500.

13. my christopher busetto 304 has been my main bass for over 11 years. Highly recommend!

14. awakeme1897

awakeme1897 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Los Angeles
  15. Jeffrey Wash

Jan 2, 2011
    Santa Cruz
    Hey - the EUB looks interesting, but not really something I could make use of. Thanks for inquiring!

16. groucho mark

groucho mark

Mar 27, 2012

17. groucho mark

groucho mark

Mar 27, 2012
    Hey Jeff. Still have this for sale?

18. Jeffrey Wash

Jan 2, 2011
    Santa Cruz
    Hey Groucho - yes, I do! I've been preoccupied trying to finish an album and dealing with other stuff, have left this unattended. Would still very much like to find a good home for this bass. PM me if you like. It's late and I was just going to crash, so if I don't reply tonight (Wednesday) I'll get back to you Thursday midday-ish...