1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Circle K's + Peavey Cirrus 5 Bolt-on

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Cursed Pulse, Jul 2, 2012.

1. I've been lurking here for quite some time and this forum has been a great help. Gear reviews etc. This forum is the reason I decided to get the Cirrus I'm currently using. :)

So, Peavey Cirrus 5 Bolt-on and I have been using a set of the balanced "Standard Scale" Circle K strings and they sound great overall. The Cirrus is a 35" scale, but on the B and E strings the taper starts JUST before the nut to the point where the thickest wrap is touching the edge of the nut. Strung through the bridge not the body.

Taper starts there on the neck side of the nut.
    ----v
    O--|-----------------

Like I said the strings sound great, but I'm wondering if those two strings might be losing some of their tone because of this? I've considered going up to "Medium Scale" for the next set but on the string specs sheet it says that for medium the taper doesn't start until 38.625". I've measured and the center of the tuning post for the B string is just under 38.75". This would put the entire tapered part of the string wrapped around the tuning post.

What I want to know is:

1. Am I losing anything tone-wise with the way the strings are currently?

2. Would going to "Medium Scale" be okay considering how close the tuning post is?

3. Anyone who has contacted Circle K, do they do custom lengths? Could I get a "Standard Scale" string with about .250" more length before the taper?

Another thing, I'm currently using a "Balanced Set" (.150 .112 .082 .061 .045) tuned ADGCF and the B string is a bit floppy. Well, not really floppy just not quite as tight as I'd like.

I looked at the string tension chart and for this instrument that would put the tension on a .150 tuned to A at about 39 lbs right?

Should I go up to the balanced .158 or even .166 set?
    or
    Since I'm happy with the other strings should I do something like .158/.166, .112, .082, .061, .045?
    or
    Could something else like poor setup be contributing to the floppiness of the B string?

As a curiosity, what is the maximum amount of tension for strings before risk of damaging the instrument?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The strings might be floppy because of the taper starting before the nut.

3. Not to sound rude or anything but that really wasn't too helpful considering everything I wanted to know. Answers to my other questions or something more definitive would be much appreciated. :help:

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas

Guess I should have read your public profile before trying to help. Good luck.

5. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    I guess what you are saying is "perhaps Fieldy could help?":D

6. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

You are going the wrong direction. You need Extra Long scale strings for a 35" Cirrus.

Standard Scale is for 34"

Medium Scale is for 32"

The taper must be behind the nut for proper sound. Try the right strings before you try juggling gauges.

7. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    Please go with this suggestion. I have a Cirrus 5, and use Extra Long Scale with no issues regarding different models of string or gauge.

8. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Hahahaha!

Honestly, I've never had that problem so I don't know what to tell you. Why don't you order a single .158 and a single .166? Try medium length. I don't think that Circle K makes custom scale length strings. They might, but they'd probably cost you quite a bit.

Also, guys commenting on the scale length Circle K measures their scale lengths this way:

STANDARD - for scale lengths of 34" to 35" - this is the most common scale length.
    MEDIUM - for scale lengths of 36" to 37" - this is found in many fanned fret instruments.
    LONG - for scale lengths of 39" to 40" - this is found in many custom bass designs.

So actually, yes, medium scale would be the next step up.

9. Really you two, there is no need for the nonsense. :) Besides that has nothing to do with the problem at hand.

I searched the forums and couldn't find anything on this topic, and did my research on Circle K's website.

On their spec sheet it states that the string is 1 7/8" longer before the taper starts on the medium vs standard.http://www.circlekstrings.com/CKSIMAGES/CircleKspecs.pdf

The standard's taper starts just touching the bridge side of the nut and the center of the nearest tuning post is 1 15/16" away from the bridge side of the nut. I wasn't sure if wrapping the entire tapered portion of the string around the tuning post is a good idea?

I'm considering ordering a medium scale string to test with but I came here to ask some questions first considering the wealth of knowledge I've seen here.

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    What your describing, tapered part across nut. Id think that could cause a few issues. 1st Id think getting best action would be difficult with it riding down on the tapered part instead of wrapped string across the nut. 2nd would be if one broke there. Your in potential trouble then, cause it dont got no wrap to grab and stop its whipping back toward the bridge. Tone wise, I dunno if it would effect it. Some use tapered part over bridge saddle, but you got yours at nut end.

I'm not certain, but the guys at circlek could prob best suggest what replacement set for your bass for proper fit.

11. Well, I got in contact with Skip at Circle K and explained everything. He replied saying that he'd like to have a bit more room than the 1/16" I'll have between the start of the taper and the tuning post but the mediums should work. He's going to give me a bit of a discount even on those two strings because the one might not work.

I have had some trouble getting the action as low as I'm used to but it's not been too big of a pain. Hopefully the longer ones will work out and I won't have to worry about it anymore.

I like the strings and the customer service has been excellent so I hope I can find a solution with them that works.

12. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Surely the only problem is the B and E are now too close to the 1st fret causing rattle? This would prevent you setting the kink over the nut (witness point) by pressing down on the string either side of the nut. Anyways good luck with the mediums.

Cirrus B tuner post is designed too close to the nut ..

13. Yeah, the B and E strings are both very close to the first fret. I'm going to have to agree with the tuning post being too close the the nut. I'll post with the results once I get the strings.