1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cirrus & USA Millennium Users

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smogg, Apr 3, 2009.

1. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Not a lot of responses in the string section, so thought I'd try here in the basses section.

Cirrus and USA Millennium users,
    Do you still use stock cirrus strings or something else?
    I currently use D'addario XL nickel rounds (45's) but thinking of going back to stock cirrus strings (45's as well). Not sure if DR nickel low riders are worth the extra $15 a set as I seem to go through strings quickly regardless of brand.
    Your input would be appreciated.
    Thanks, smogg

2. Out of my 6 Peaveys, I was never really thrilled with the stock Cirrus strings. I'm only using Cirrus strings on my fretless 5. The rest are either Ernie Ball or SIT custom gauges.

3. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    The Cirrus strings are pretty good but I much prefer DR Fatbeams,the mids are better and they last a lot longer for me. Next favorite would be the nickle Low Riders you mentioned. In my area the DR strings are about $7 or $8 more than the Cirrus strings but for me they are worth it. My band isn't gigging much at all so my strings last a long time.

4. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I use D'Addario XL's on my fiver. My favorite strings are DR Sunbeams (Nickel, round core) or the XL's. I do not dig the Cirrus strings as much, they do not seem to have as much bottom end. :)

5. MagnaKen

MagnaKen

Jan 17, 2006
    Redland, Oregon
    DR Fatbeams

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I also kill strings real fast so I use the Elixirs on both my Cirrus and Millennium. Make sure and get the extra long ones.
    I do like the way D'addarios sound on my Millennium just wish I didn't kill them so fast.

7. I use DR Lowriders on my Cirrus.They give me a nice bottom end and everything in between.

8. rEaLity|cheCk

rEaLity|cheCk

Nov 6, 2007
    ken smith taper cores

9. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    D'Addario XL's have been my strings for 15 years. The Extra Long Scale work wonderfully with my Millennium basses.

10. Does Peavey offer fretless on any models other than Cirrus customs?

I'm waiting for a response from Peavey - but thought I'd ask you guys.

Thanks, Denys (aka loungesurfer)

11. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    I like the Cirrus strings, but recently I switched to D'Addario XL Prosteels. These are killer strings and give my Cirrus even more bite and growl!!!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I have used SIT Power Wound Nickels and DR Sunbeams on my USA Millennium. Both are phenemoneal, the Sunbeams are more middy, the SIT's more growly but the E string died real fast. After the Sunbeams I will install Dunlops (I have switched to them on both my other basses) and decide which I like most between those three.

13. No.

14. I use Rotosound RS66LD strings on my 5-string Cirrus

15. +1 on the Rotosound RS66LD.

16. Randy S

Randy S

Jul 7, 2008
    Western WA
    DR Nickel Lo Riders on my TL-5

17. I bought a USA Cirrus 5 used, I think it had stock strings on it. Three were dead as a doornail. I changed them out with el-cheapo Musicians Gear strings. They sound awesome. The whole string issue, meh.

18. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Elixirs on the 5er and Boomers on the 4.

19. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I wish that were true. I've tried at least 5 different brands of strings recently, and all of them sounded totally different. Trying strings gets expensive :smug:

20. That is what I use on my TL-5, which has cirrus electronics in it. This thread reminds me that I need new strings and that I am broke.

lowsound