1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

CITES - What every bass player should know

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Turnaround, Apr 24, 2014.

1. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax Florida
    FTW!

Jeff Elkins likes this.
  2. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Where would the the priority to prepare and distribute educational material on finished wood species identification for border agents fall?

I'm imagining trying to explain "oh, no, this is Indian Rosewood"...
    Still, it's a step.

3. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    You mean if it smells like coconut vs. lemons?

4. DannyNFLD

DannyNFLD

Aug 20, 2011
    Great tips!

5. kumimajava

kumimajava

May 19, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    One of the local builders here in Tokyo, posted on his FB page something to the effect (from what I could understand, using Google Translate) that the changes in Japan come into force on November 26th.

The link to the corresponding web-page at japan customs is below:
    2019年11月26日より、ワシントン条約の改正附属書が発効します (METI/経済産業省)

Tom Bomb likes this.
  6. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    Old rules still apply in the EU for the foreseeable future as far as I can tell. Meaning import/export permits are still required for rosewood. Which is turning into a huge problem now that some countries have apparently stopped issuing export permits (a copy of which is required to apply for an import permit...).

How the #¤%¤ am I supposed to import anything containing rosewood if I can't get a copy of the export permit that's required in the application for the import permit??? This is turning into more or less exactly the mess I predicted a couple of pages ago.

Garret Graves, ajkula66 and BlueTalon like this.
  7. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Well, I've been looking for OFFICIAL PUBLISHED CONFIRMATION weeks now on all the Canadian Government websites ( OZ had it published ages ago, dunno why us alleged "world leaders in telecommunication technology" are so friggin slow ...)... still nothing anywhere obvious!

Anyway - as was stated on the previous page - I did get confirmation today from the actual person in charge of issuing CITES certificates, to wit:

As of November 26th, 2019 the CITES permitting requirements for finished musical instruments, finished musical instrument parts and finished musical instrument accessories with rosewood have been lifted (all rosewoods except for Brazilian rosewood, which hasn’t changed since 1992).

Canada will no longer be issuing CITES permits for rosewood instruments, nor will we be expecting or requiring CITES export permits from other countries for these instruments.

murphy, Slaymus, s_wood and 2 others like this.
  8. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    I talked to Thomann today and they say the changes will be implemented in Germany (so presumably the entire EU) on December 15th. Not an official source but I don't think Thomann would tell customers this unless they were 100% sure. Great news! (But I still want to see it from an official source before ordering anything).

s_wood, 12BitSlab, Tom Bomb and 2 others like this.
  9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Hopefully, Thomann is nothing like GC when it comes to knowing what they are talking about.

steve_rolfeca and S.F.Sorrow like this.
  10. stefanb

stefanb

Sep 14, 2017
    Toronto
    To anyone in Canada wondering...

This just showed up from Japan :0

Took about a week door to door, according to tracking it was in customs for approx 1 minute and delivered with $0 attached to it.

Attached Files:

murphy, mikewalker, Cosmozis and 4 others like this.
  11. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Woohoo! Congrats! That is really good news on a bunch of levels.

stefanb likes this.
  12. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    If you don't mind, can I ask how much you paid for it? I'm asking because I'm looking at a couple basses in Japan, and might pull the trigger on one of them if GAS gets the better of me. (Not that customs in Canada and the U.S. are in any way related...)

13. stefanb

stefanb

Sep 14, 2017
    Toronto
    The price varies, sometimes wildly depending on who is listing it. I bought this one from a private sale, so no shop tax or profit margin built into it (or cleaned / setup for that matter) and imported it myself, paid about $250 on top for shipping / handling / packing fees.

The guitar itself was extremely reasonably priced - I was looking for a player grade guitar however and I put the elbow grease into it to clean it up (which was the plan).

A good example of a PB70 should be 50-65,000 yen.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    mikewalker likes this.
  14. OllyW

OllyW

Oct 10, 2017
    Stourbridge, UK
    They were right.

Latest News

15. s_wood

s_wood Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    If you are in the US, be aware that there is still nothing on the US Fish & Wildlife Service's CITES page that recognizes these recent changes.

16. BergerHead

BergerHead plastic phantastic

Aug 22, 2018
    Basel, Switzerland
    Meanwhile Euro-Govs developed some gear-passports or certificates concerning protected woods, theet, shells & horns (zool.) this can count on small parts like inlays and dots also.
    musical-instruments

17. s_wood

s_wood Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    The US Fish and Wildlife Service, which administers CITES in the US, has been issuing musical instrument passports for a few years. Despite the relaxation of the rules regarding rosewoods other than Brazilian rosewood, the passports are still useful for international travel in cases some customs officer somewhere wrongly thinks that your Indian rosewood or pau ferro fingerboard is actually Brazilian rosewood. Also, tortoiseshell (the real stuff) and elephant ivory are still covered by CITES, and there are some older acoustic guitars and high-end basses that contain those materials

More info about the M.I. passports:
    Musical Instruments

League of American Orchestras

18. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Common sense says that there should be no problem importing into the United States something that was originally built in California.

But then again, I guess common sense has not played a major role in this whole issue anyway, has it? :)

19. BergerHead

Aug 22, 2018
    Basel, Switzerland
    Well, if common sense would be base of the laws, and these would be used and respected therefore ... but it's somehow futile to talk good ol' times and yesteryears; a fool to be counting on.

murphy and Jeff Scott like this.
  20. BergerHead

Aug 22, 2018
    Basel, Switzerland
    Consider the German authorities (ab)using the laws in a rather destructive manner, as mentioned: even small part as dots or inlays could be reason to confiscate gear, that also could count for THC or other positive swabs depending on a**hole factor of some cops.