1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Classic rockers - Help tab a Zepplin riff?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by bass player 48, Apr 1, 2009.

1. bass player 48

bass player 48

Nov 17, 2008
    Sorry if this is a near duplicate post – I wasn’t sure if this was tabbing or general instruction.

I’m working on learning The Ocean by Led Zep. I’ve got the verse and chorus and the basic arrangement down. I’m working on properly learning the walking bass part at the end, but I can fake it for now.

The part that is stumping me is after the walking bass part starts, there is a full band unison riff (or two) that comes up in that outro solo and happens several times in the outro.

Anybody know what I’m talking about? Can anybody tab out that riff?

Any help is very appreciated. Thanks Talkbass!

2. drudonit

drudonit

Jan 30, 2009
    MI
    i think it's just hitting A then pedalling a whole step back then another whole step back, and then D then a a whole step back and another whole step back

I COULD BE WRONG THOUGH

3. You have guitar pro?

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I think you're talking about this:

Ocean.

After eight measures walking over a subdominant-dominant chord progression, JPJ plays that phrase. That happens three times during the song, and he plays some different notes each time (most noticeably the open E at the end of the third time - end of the song), but my transcription shows the main idea (IMO). Hope this helps.

5. thats the one....hey alvaro ,you dont happen to have cant get next to you by the temptations in your collection by chance?........

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Sorry, man. I don't have it. I'll give it a listen and try to transcribe it in my spare time. :)

7. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan