1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

clean DI and effected amp signals

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by eve_ripper, Feb 11, 2016.

1. eve_ripper

eve_ripper

Apr 17, 2014
    Russia
    I record my bass through DI. I use pedals and ampsims at home. Usually I end with CLEAN DI before effects and DI with effects (fuzz, chorus) which then I'll send to ampsim software. But when I blend these signals together there's a mess. I know about phase issues and I can get good tones. But is this OK to have clean DI and blend it with effected AMP? Or should I mix effected DI and effected AMP? What's the practice?

2. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    You said you know about phase issues. That's really all there is to it. You have two sources with a varying phase relationship. Either you like the sound of them together or you don't. If you want a clean signal blended in with an affected one then do that, but realize you'll have phase discrepancies to deal with in post. If you don't need a clean signal blended in and want to use two signals, then by all means use two affected DI signal paths. You'll still have phase discrepancies as phase is not only time dependent, but also frequency dependent. If you take two clean signals and apply a simple EQ you'll still have to deal with phase problems to some degree. My favorite solution is to get what I need from a single source and not have any phase problems within the bounds of a single instrument.

eve_ripper likes this.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    When mixing, the amount of each signal is important. Try having lots of one and a touch of the other, just enough to enhance it. Sins can be buried in the mix.