Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Climate change...

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Anon2962, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    I've recently taken my bass from Ireland, where the humidity is pretty average all yaer round, to Finland, where it's going to get DRY at winter. Anyone got advice on protecting the bass? I'm afraid the sudden dryness (its been in Ireland for at least 50 years) will make my bass go nuts. I've been told that dampits are pretty extreme, and should be used all year round, not just for when it gets dry. I'd prefer not to use one at all, if possible. They scare me :bag: . I was thinking of treating the whole bass with a little Balistol gun oil - my new favourite thing. It's here.
    Thanks!

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Here's my opinion:

STAY AWAY FROM DAMPITS! I described in an earlier post the 10-15 minute exercise I used to use to try to ensure that a dampit would not drip inside my bass. Despite all of my efforts, the thing dripped anyway. Fortunately, there was no damage. NEVER AGAIN!

I suggest that you get a digital hygrometer and keep it near the bass. Then, use an evaporative humidifer (not the ultrasonic misting type) fairly close by. Shoot for humidity at least in the mid 40's. This should keep your baby quite happy.

3. Regardless of what you use on the outside of the bass, the fact remains that the inside is all bare, exposed wood. This is where it will absorb and release moisture.

Dampits are worthwhile if you are careful with them and keep the bass in its case. They will not humidify the room your bass is in, a couple of them can hardly humidify the air contained within the bass. Mid- forties relative humidity is good, but taking the bass from that to somewhere that's in the twenties is a pretty drastic change. I keep my house around mid thirties in the cold, dry season. I haven't had a crack or seam open in winter in many years.

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

Well, that doesn't mean that the humidifying device must go inside the bass! Using an evaporative humidifier in the room will, of course, cause the inside of the bass to be exposed to air of the proper humidity.

It seems worth repeating my old dampit procedure. I would saturate the dampit, then squeeze out the excess water. Then, I would hang it up for about 10 minutes and allow the water to migrate to the bottom. After that, I'd squeeze out more excess water and hang it up for another five minutes or so. Finally, I'd put it in my bass. Guess what? The damn thing would still manage to drip especially if the bass was moved. I think it is fair to say that my procedure went way beyond what most are willing to do and certainly qualifies as being "careful."

To each his own-- you'll never find a dampit in any bass I own unless circumstances are extreme.

5. This has all been discussed at length before in numerous threads. Here's one you might wanna read.

6. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    As said - Welcome to Finland and I hope you'll enjoy.

- JerryH -

7. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    I've NEVER had a dampit drip inside my bass....NEVER....I use two!

My procedure is to moisten it...squeeze the water out as best as possible, wrap it in an old t-shirt, burrito style......squeeze...and then unwrap it and put it in the f hole...my relative humidity in the room is around 40%. No runs, no drips, no errors. This will be the first winter for my carved Christopher so if there are any problems I will be sure to let you know.

8. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The problem is, by drying the dampit until it no longer drips... how much benefit could it still provide? My experience was that it needed to be almost bone dry or else it would drip at least a little bit.

9. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    ..hmmm......I re-do it about every day and a half...you can feel when the sponge gets dried out so the moisture is going somewhere.