Clipping Peavey: will a compressor solve my problem?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirk, Jul 5, 2004.

1. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I have a problem. My Peavey Max 450 clips a lot when I'm playing. Sometimes it's ok, just a little red flicker, but sometimes it produces very unattractive solid state distortion. I'm looking for a quick fix, since I can't afford a new head (which is what I really want anyway). Will a pedal compressor, such as the Aphex Punch Factory, even out my levels and keep my amp from clipping and producing that distortion?

2. How many cabs do you have and what is the impedence of them?
  3. A compressor will help a little, but if you're running the amp into constant limiting it probably won't make too big of a difference.

I'm assuming you are talking about poweramp clipping here and not preamp right?
  4. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I don't know if a compressor will avoid clipping, you'll have to push the power of the amp to have the same level as before compress the sound.
  5. If you are occasionally clipping hard then a compressor will help you. If the peaks are extreme you may be able to get more overall volume after the peaks are controlled with the compressor.

It's hard to say how effective this will be for your specific situation, but it is worth checking out. By one used so you can sell it later when you get your bigger amp.

I don't really want to bash any particular brands but I have been less than satisfied with any sub $200 compressor I have owned. They do a good job with controlling level but effect the tone just by being in the signal chain, even in bypass mode.
  6. It really would help to know how many cabs and what impedance youre running. There could be a mismatch, or an over/underpower condition.
  7. CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    it really depends on what style you're playing. if you are clipping playing slap then a comp will help. however if you are playing fingerstyle with a light touch then you need a bigger amp cause a comp will do you little good. ive found that a good compressor is worth it's weight in gold when it comes to evening out the natural volume difference between slap and fingerstyle.
  8. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Sounds like its time for a power upgrade, IMO. :ninja: