1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cobalt wraps too big for Badass II . . .

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Steve23, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Steve23

Steve23 Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2015
    . . . Dudes!
    Bought a Frankenbass P/J via eBay auction - Precision body, Jazz maple/black block neck (fretted), blah, blah, blah . . .
    The guy listed it as used 'cause the Bad Ass II was not new - all else is "new" (was gonna post pix, ask opinions, etc.) . . .
    Just received some Cobalt Flats to replace the DR rounds & the wraps are too thick to slide the strings all the way to the "ball" . . .
    What's the prescribed method to "fix" this bridge?
    Rattail file? Drill 'em out? Burn my equipment & cut off my fingers?
    Thanks in advance . . .

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You don't want to drill it too much, because the hole still needs to anchor the ball. Just go down a few sizes from however big the ball end is.

3. Rattail will work. Just take your time and file a little and try the string and so on.

4. Steve23

Mar 5, 2015
    Thanks, gang . . .
    Basically, the agro meter was going toward the red 'cause of the "critical eye" going over stuf not apparent in the "eBay pix". The already bruised Bad Ass II was/is not the only "if I woulda' known" aspect . . .
    A rattail eventually prevailed - the "E " string was the only combatant . . .
    There will be pix on the "Basses" forum soon of the "character flaws" (mainly of this OP). For instance, the fretboard was re-coated (slopping onto the frets - think "I just picked up a glazed donut" finger residue) . . .
    Opinions of actual provenance of the assembled pieces will be appreciated . . .
    It kinda plays nice!

5. Steve23

Mar 5, 2015
    This is the bridge before I rattailed the "E" string hole . . .
    Obviously, someone did some work previously - is this a common problem? Bad Ass II bridges (or any with defined pass-through holes) needing gross alterations? Bridge_03.

6. My 2008 Highway One Jazz came stock with a Badass II. During the last six and a half years I've owned it, never once have I had any problem with any strings, many of which with silk at the ball end, not fitting through the holes.

Note: I usually stick with light-gauge strings so the E strings I've used in the past range from .100 to .107.

7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Never had a problem with my 1985 BadAss II bridge. From the looks of yours I'd say it is a counterfeit.

8. Steve23

Mar 5, 2015
    Never even crossed my mind . . .
    Admittedly, I put a bid in on the eBay auction so that I could follow the "sale" - being "rewarded" as the only bidder did seem peculiar . . .
    My post in "Basses" asking for opinions on the various parts (neck, tuners, etc.) has garnered zero responses . . .
    It is well-known that I'm an idiot . . .

9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Oh no, don't berate yourself @Steve23. After Leo Quan's death, his son ran his company into the ground. The very last batch of BadAss bridges to be manufactured went to F.M.I.C. (Fender) in it's totality. Then lo-and-behold, new BadAss bridges began to pop up all over ebay almost all of which were counterfeit along with some used ones too. As always "Buyer Beware".

10. Steve23

Mar 5, 2015
    Yeah . . .
    I was interested in finding a maple neck P/J - the rattail assault on the "E" string access port of the bridge seems minor . . .
    The condition of the fretboard was more bizarre (after removing the "as-is" strings). The re-finish, or whatever ocurred, was very sloppy. And, of course, my fine-grit touch-up certainly isn't the stuff of luthier's lore . . .
    Still, the overall playability is good (not used to the "blending" of the p/u's) & the Cobalt's create a pretty cool sound . . .
    I'll just continue trying to make you guys proud . . .

11. bassbombs84

bassbombs84

Dec 26, 2008
    Routinely string up mine with heavy gauge strings no problem

12. WaynerBass

WaynerBass Banned SUSPENDED

Jan 12, 2016
    Southwest Florida
    I play Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats, you'll love em. They're slick, sound close to roundwounds, but still have good thump. Nice purple silk on both ends. Tension is great too.

Steve23 likes this.
  13. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    I think I crimped mine with super champs or vice grips, can't remember, that was seven years ago