1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

coil over lowering springs

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by vbasscustom, May 8, 2010.

1. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    hey all you gearheads, i was hoping that someone here would know something about this. i just recently bought a 1997 VW jetta. i think it sits a bit too high and was planning on lowering it a couple inches. i was hopeing that someone could tell me EVERYTHING i need to buy to do the job. thanks alot.

2. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I would recommend having a professional do anything involving the removal or installation of anything that when compressed has the power to kill or seriously injure you.

Coil springs fall well within that category.

3. You need to do a lot more research than a bass forum can help with. To start with, find a VW forum and ask there.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Start putting bags of sand in the trunk until it sits how you want it to.

-Mike

5. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    oh i have the tools, and the know how. i was just hoping that someone around here might have known something about it before i pulled out the big guns.

and sand bags sound good.

6. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    Jetta's have a big enough aftermarket that they must have a couple forums, so I would join one of those and search around as I am almost certain there is someone that has logged that mod with some detail.

But just for something to get you going. I would pickup a repair manual ei chilton's there always good to have around. Also on a car that age it would be wise to go ahead and overhaul the suspension. Your aged stock suspension components would do well with lowered performance springs so be ready replace shocks, struts, bushings, links etc. You will also need a couple of alignments. Get one initially after you work w a warranty. Then at the end of the warranty period usually a couple of months the springs should have had time to settle and then go get the car realigned for free.

7. RobTheSkanker

RobTheSkanker

Aug 29, 2006
    Dundalk, MD
    vwvortex is a good place to start.

Being a 97, the stock struts by now are probably fairly worn and will not really be able to handle the higher spring rates of either lowering springs or coil overs. There is a difference. Lowering springs are simply replacements that offer a lower ride height and usually a higher spring rate to compensate for the smaller suspension travel. Coilovers are adjustable, can be simple sleeves used on stock style struts or fully adjustable unit.

Depending on how low you go, you will want to upgrade your struts because stock valving will blow fairly quickly. Other forums can offer good suggestions on brands, I've rarely ever shoped for anything outside of Toyota as of yet as thats all I've ever owned.

BIGGEST AID TO ANY CAR REPAIR/MAINTAINENCE/MODIFICATION IS RESEARCH. THERE IS PLENTY OF INFO OUT THERE caps lock off now :p

8. Time Monkey

Time Monkey Banned

Jan 9, 2009
    California
  9. having lower springs will make the lifespan of your shocks drop, anything more than 50mm drop and you'll be better off either shelling out for a fully adjustable coilover set or some sport shocks. below that its usually fine to just get a set of lowering springs.... assuming your shocks are in alright condition. Go on a jetta forum for detailed instructions, but for most cars a re-spring will only take a couple of hours if you get a spring compressor.