1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Collectability vs Playability

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by TaySte_2000, Mar 20, 2009.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Thought this was a good one for you.

Where do you draw the line in your gear? Is some stuff only for home noodling because it's collectable and you plan on selling it in 20-30 years time? Or does everything have to be justified?

Also when justified does that mean you have an idea where it might work in some hypothetical situation or is it born out of need.

Our friend Jack has a 1950's Dynacord Hifi/PA amp and while it looks awesome 17w is not a whole lot of use to me live ;)

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    An interesting question....VERY interesting.

Everything has to be justified. However, that goes out the window when I buy silly stuff like MULTIPLE Roland G-77's, Ovation Magnums, a Peavey T-40, stuff like that.

Usually my purchases are less impulsive and more sensible as I get older, but still, I buy stuff just 'cuz "it's a great deal" or "I have to have it!".

That's gotta change, though. I have over 60 basses, and it's time for a sale, for sure. Too many amps too!

What I'm trying to do now is purge my collection of the occasional dud, or at least of things that aren't super useful. If it's sat for a year or more and hasn't been used on a session, it's time to say bye bye.

Pedals? Well: they're pretty small, so no reason to stop collecting, is there?

Best,
    JMJ

3. machell

machell

Jun 6, 2006
    Auckland, NZ
    Do let us know when you're planning on having a sale.....

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    OK well my g/f hates you now JMJ I've bought a 1956 Dynacord 17w amp and a Guild Ashbory :D

She's actually close to burning a hole in her Ima Robot cd's with how much she's spinning them. :bassist:

5. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Wow, Tayste, tell her thank for the IMa Robot love, but sorry for the impulse purchases. ;-)

Machell, I was thinking about putting stuff up on here, but I'm not sure how to do it. Oh wait: I could just pop a list up on the FS section, eh?

Easy. I'll do that sometime.

Best,
    JMJ