Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

College Audition Pieces

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Illfavor, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Illfavor

Illfavor

Mar 9, 2005
    DFW
    Are the Dragonetti in A and the Bottesini in B minor contrasting enough for an audition, or would something more modern like the Koussevitzky be better to constrast with the Dragonetti?

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    IMO either pairing would work well. Choose the pieces by how well you play them.

3. LaurenBell

LaurenBell

Aug 10, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Depends on which movemebts you are playing. Honestly, I wouldn't play two movements of a concerto. I would play one and then a movement of the Bach suites. What colleges are you applying for? I am also having to audition this year.

4. Illfavor

Illfavor

Mar 9, 2005
    DFW
    Being from the South, Oklahoma U, OSU, Texas Tech and University of Arkansas. My teachers have assured me that I'm good enough to audition and possibly make it into a larger music school and/or conservatory, but I'm not looking for that atmosphere, plus I know people at these schools.

Do you suggest the transcribed Bach Suites or the "at pitch" versions, which are apparently a huge chore?

I'll probably go with the Eccles in G minor (IVth mvmt, unless anyone knows of a more difficult Baroque-esque Sonata?) and the Bottesini in B minor, or drop it all and lose my money playing Poker.

5. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    I agree with Lauren. Play something like the Vanhal, and then play maybe one of the preludes to the cello suites. My favorite is the prelude to the second suite. Two movments from a concerto isnt really the best idea.