1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

College student looks to see the light again

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by CaptRook, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptRook

CaptRook

Apr 1, 2009
    I'm a college student who played AUB in high school, but gave it up about three years ago to pursue theatre exclusively. Now that I've got a little more perspective, I'm wanting to get back to the bass and really go for it.

My biggest issue, however, is space. Living in a dorm room is not conducive to housing, playing, caring for, and not kicking an acoustic. So I've been looking at EUB because they're smaller and well, if I hook up some headphones to them, I can practice without annoying the neighbors.

Obviously, I'm not going to get the same sound from an EUB as I did playing an AUB in highschool, but what I'm really looking for is something to be able to store in a small place, not too high on initial maintenance, less than $1500 for total start up costs (I need a bow and everything else to make the bass work)

Most recently, I've been looking at the NS WAV 4 because of price and that most of the people in that forum seem to enjoy playing it. That said, I know little to nothing about the extra electronics such as preamps and headphones and speakers that I'll need in order to make such an endeavor work. I have an okay Fender speaker from when I thought I was going to try and learn electric bass (still have the bass too), but I have no idea if that's going to be the right type of thing in order to get a decent sound.

I'm also really interested in looking at something with a strap as opposed to a stand. Not any particular reason, I just like the feel of a shoulder strap as a bit of a reassurance that the instrument is there. Like feeling the weight of the bass as it presses into the hip. It feels right. So any extra experiences with strap systems for EUB would also be helpful.

Any advice on which instruments to look at, what extra technology I need to invest in, and where to buy all this gear would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your input!
    CaptRook

2. duckyincarnate

duckyincarnate

Oct 18, 2005
    London, UK
    In addition to the NS Wav, you could have a look at the Ergo. It comes at $650 and is a very nice instrument. I just bought one and am very happy with it.

There are some 'megathreads' on various EUBs stickied on the top of this forum, including several instruments in your price range. Have a look at those.

There are also several nice EUBs for sale in the classifieds at the moment. A great way of getting a nice deal. There was a Merchant EUB a while ago for $1300 that looked reeeaaally nice, and also two Ergo five stringers at good prices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.