1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Combo + head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zenixon, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Zenixon

Zenixon

Oct 3, 2013
    So my guitarist is trying to get me to use an orange head along with my Ampeg ba 115. I think it's pointless, is there any reason for me to plug in the head?

2. The reason would be to get a different tone.

It's probably much more powerful so mind the volume.

Whatever you do, completely disconnect the Ampeg amp from the system. Any time two amps get hooked up to one speaker, both amps go up in smoke.

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Kinda like the ThunderDome Figures an Aussie would bring that up..... 2 heads enter 1 head leaves!

4. Geography lessons start after lunch.

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I'm an American: You guys all look the same to me........ :bag:

G'day sir!! I said G'day!

6. Zenixon

Zenixon

Oct 3, 2013
    How would I go about doing that?

7. Googling up details is a pita on my phone, some combos have a speaker lead from the cab to the back of the amp, easy peasy, unplug and switch amps. I suspect yours will be all internally wired so you would be looking at a project to fit output jack to amp and a new speaker cable.

The other thing you might do depends on what Orange amp you're looking at and what input output options it and the Ampeg have. If the orange is a tube amp you're s.o.l. but otherwise it could be possible to use the orange as your preamp and the Ampeg's power stage.

8. DerTeufel

DerTeufel Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    His combo is internally wired. The Ampeg's amp is pretty basic..instrument input, headphone out, RCA inputs, DI (as well as the obligatory volume and eq controls).

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Imo, this would be a pointless exercise, and at worst, could fry one or more components. At best, you'd get a different tone. Use the combo as-is, and upgrade to better gear when you can afford it.

10. Kinda, you're not ever going to turn the combo into a firebreathing, drummer taming thing.

11. But if he did....

Yeah, I agree. I prefer my drummers wild and unspoiled, too.