1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Combo placement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by progmanjum, Oct 31, 2010.

1. progmanjum

progmanjum

Feb 17, 2009
    Hope to be getting a combo soon. My question is, should it sit on the floor? If I place it on top of a desk/table will it change the sound drastically? If I build a stand for it should it be a solid or hollow structure? Thanks.

2. Mo_Fonk

Mo_Fonk

Oct 14, 2010
    :eyebrow:

3. they sell stands, and it should act like the amps that rockback, so i guess it should sound better. also if it rattles that may reduce more

but id listen to the other people here

4. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I use a Roland DB 700 combo on an amp stand most of the time, just to hear it better. I believe you don't start losing low end until you raise it more than 27 inches, but not sure about that. I never seem to lack low end, but I play a 4 string and usually keep the amp flat.

5. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    How big is it? If it's too big for a stand you can use a tiltback device like the Amp Wedge or similar. Getting the speakers up closer to your head and ears allows you to hear it better and the high-mids and treble to distribute to the listeners better. Generally speaking, boundary re-enforcement (which is what you are talking about when you ask if it will change the sound) only occurs if the speaker is more than a foot off the ground or away from a wall. So use that as a guide and experiment with heights and distances from floors and walls. Experimentation is the key to learning how to optimally use your equipment in any situation.