1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Combo's between $500-800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metal_head46, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Hey to all

Im looking at getting a combo amp in the next few days but Im not quite sure what to get. I play heavy metal/hard rock, such as metallica, iron maiden, pantera etc., so I want an amp that can deliver the low end 'growls' but also keep up with the high's as well. Im looking at either the Ampeg BA-210 SP, BA-210, BA 115HP or a Fender Bassman 250/210. Anyone have any suggestions or opinions on these amps or any others????

2. I have an older Fender Bassman 400- 350watts and 2 10s. . It's a nice amp and it sounds awesome but its not loud enough for metal and it's very clean. It was good for pitband and jazzband when I was still in highschool, but it doesn't really cut it against loud overdriven gutars. The newer bassman 250 is a little different than mine, but the EQ section looks to be the same and it's rated for less power. I would not suggest this amp for a metal band. I don't have experience with the Ampeg gear in a live situation so I can't comment on those.

3. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Get yourself a used Trace Elliot combo, that'll do nicely.

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    A Nemesis 410 combo. Don't think you can do much better than that.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +1

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I like Nemesis, I have and NC210 and it cranks for is size and sounds good too. Made by Eden.

7. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    I own the BA-210SP and I adore it. Haven't played the other suggestions, but you can't go wrong with the BA-210SP.....

8. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    G-K combo will do nicely. My 400rb 2-10 combo handles metal just fine. I can add a 15 to it if I need to. Should be able to find in your price range.