Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo's between $500-800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metal_head46, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Hey to all

Im looking at getting a combo amp in the next few days but Im not quite sure what to get. I play heavy metal/hard rock, such as metallica, iron maiden, pantera etc., so I want an amp that can deliver the low end 'growls' but also keep up with the high's as well. Im looking at either the Ampeg BA-210 SP, BA-210, BA 115HP or a Fender Bassman 250/210. Anyone have any suggestions or opinions on these amps or any others????

2. I have an older Fender Bassman 400- 350watts and 2 10s. . It's a nice amp and it sounds awesome but its not loud enough for metal and it's very clean. It was good for pitband and jazzband when I was still in highschool, but it doesn't really cut it against loud overdriven gutars. The newer bassman 250 is a little different than mine, but the EQ section looks to be the same and it's rated for less power. I would not suggest this amp for a metal band. I don't have experience with the Ampeg gear in a live situation so I can't comment on those.

3. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Get yourself a used Trace Elliot combo, that'll do nicely.

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    A Nemesis 410 combo. Don't think you can do much better than that.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +1

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I like Nemesis, I have and NC210 and it cranks for is size and sounds good too. Made by Eden.

7. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    I own the BA-210SP and I adore it. Haven't played the other suggestions, but you can't go wrong with the BA-210SP.....

8. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    G-K combo will do nicely. My 400rb 2-10 combo handles metal just fine. I can add a 15 to it if I need to. Should be able to find in your price range.