1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

comfortable 3" bass straps under $100?

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by snapcracklepop, Jul 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. snapcracklepop

snapcracklepop

Dec 26, 2015
    New York
    I picked up a Levy's MSS2 DBR padded 3" guitar strap from Amazon. Great deal at under $60 but I don't find the strap super comfortable, just so so. I have a few herniated discs in my neck and the bass weight is an issue. Here's the link to the strap:
    MSS2-DBR Garment Leather Guitar Strap - Levy's Leathers

Any recommendations on other straps with more padding in the 3" to 3.25" range and under $100? I'm not a huge guy and I think any wider would start to cut into my neck. I used to have a Ken Smith bass and the strap was so sweet. I guess I could be that guy with a Ken Smith strap and no Ken Smith bass. Scott's Bass Lessons strap is available again, looks awesome but a bit wide for me and a little over budget.

2. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
  3. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Take a look at the Walker & Williams C-22. It's 3.5" and goes for about $37 on Amazon. Several color/finish options. Mine is super duper comfy and seems to be made really well.

The C-20 model is 3". The C-34 model is 3.25".

- John

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Coughdrops likes this.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  5. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Italia lists 2 1/2" or 4" width
    I spoke with them and they said they can make a 3" for the same price as a 4".
    I highly recommend them.
    Aside from the 2 for 1 sale (which is most of the year), I received a coupon a few weeks ago that was 1 for $45.

Edit: I only looked at the suede backed straps; the leather backed are way to slippery for me. OTOH, I really like the idea of sending buisness to Jason.
    Headed to his site now.

AngelDeVille likes this.
  6. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Most comfortable strap I've found yet is the Comfort Strapp, and the Gruv Gear Solo Strap Neo ($50). And I hear great things about those Italia's.

gebass6 likes this.
  7. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    I have one of these, tho can't remember which model exactly. It's super comfortable and has held up well so far to a year of steady gigging. For the money, I find it really hard to beat.

8. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    I second the Comfort Strapp!
    I use them exclusively.
    3" wide and 3/8" thick.
    Comfort. 20180525_202446-001.

kittywithabanjo likes this.
  9. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

10. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    It's a strong word, but I despise neoprene straps. They're hot as hell, and bouncy. The Levy's straps in the original post are my faves, but they reall need some serious playing hours to break in. A few of mine are 5 years old, and very soft and comfy.

11. Burwabit

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    I was jumping in to say this too. I dislike the neoprene and comfort straps. I’ve tried and sold both styles.

12. Burwabit

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    OP if you like the Scott’s strap, it’s a bit of a copy of the brown Levy’s MSS 90. Or the MSS 80 might work too since it’s more narrow.

13. snapcracklepop

snapcracklepop

Dec 26, 2015
    New York
    Thanks. Do you know if they take just as long to break in as the one I bought? Is the leather stiffer than the leather on mine? OP

14. Burwabit

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
  15. OP, what is it you don't you like about the Levi strap? I'm asking because I'm a small guy and I love my 4" Fazley strap. The pic doesn't show this too well but the edges are well rounded and feel soft. Thick padded leather. Well made quality product. Super comfy, I can play endlessly.

22 Euro from Bax, here in The Netherlands. Made in China. Don't know if they ship to your country but this should be possible anywhere.
    IMG_20180714_103735.

16. mikiman

mikiman

Oct 10, 2014
    Hello everyone. I live in Chile, and there is a local manufacturer that has incredibly comfortable straps, with prices under $ 100. I leave the link.

Ergo Straps – Handcrafted by Musicians

Saludos desde Chile.
    Miguel.