Coming Soon **** HEADWAY EDB-2 H.E. **** Gear Junkie Review

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rickwolff, Oct 27, 2020.

1. rickwolff

rickwolff Supporting Member

Wow, I can't believe it's been over 7 years since I introduced the new Headway EDB-2 with a traveling demo.

New EDB-2 and EDM-1 from Headway For Trial

Well, as you probably know, Headways new EDB-2 H.E. is coming out and I just bought one which should (hopefully) be here in a couple of days. I am, of course, going to do a review and a video.

The biggest improvement over the already excellent EDB-2 is the fact that the new H.E. model has TWO 5-BAND EQ'S - ONE ON EACH CHANNEL.

Also, it has new circuitry for a lower noise floor AND 48 Volt Phantom Power.

Yea, I'm pretty sure it's going to be awesome.

The U.S. distributor doesn't have them yet but there should be a batch arriving in November. Mark G. tells me he is at the head of the line with his pre-order.

Till then, I'll give you my honest Gear-Junkie opinion as soon as I get back from camping and receive the new Pre-amp.

Gjcz1-Gsq18hYeY5Cm0QYdOD1rACSL-IpW_woLNFz0H60vd4q4YuffZeqzuFExrper4-1xIuW&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

Seanto and Lee Moses like this.
  2. aesopslyre

aesopslyre

Oct 27, 2007
    NY,NY
    Yay! I have one coming Thursday, watch out, I might scoop you !

rickwolff likes this.
  3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Great Rick,
    I'll be waiting with bated breath. I've read the adverts, seen pictures. Ukia Bass has already written about the Headway EDB-2 H.E. in a post he did on his pedal board setup. He was one of the

very few folks that got one of the first run. Here are the pictures he posted of his rig and a link to the thread. Oh, how I wish I could go camping sometime soon. This summer was a bummer.

Board-front-EDB2HE-closer.jpg

Board-rear-center-connections.jpg

Noble tube preamp

4. elmer

elmer

Oct 1, 2004
    Finland
    I have the new one but haven´t tested it yet. I had hopes for bigger, better and clearer knobs compared to the EDB2. It has been difficult to adjust eg. the volume during a song on a bandstand. But no improvements in that department. The new knobs feel even smaller and have a worse feel (more plasticy? cheaper?) when turning them. I believe the more important factors regarding the sound will be improvements :) I´m eagerly waiting for Rick´s comments.

5. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Elmer,
    That's a interesting observation. One of the Headway EDB-2's initial problems, were defective pots on the first run of the EDB-2. There were also issues with the three pin microphone jack getting

stuck, because the release tab would freeze. Headway was great about fixing those problems, but it took several months. Hopefully, that won't be the case with the new H.E. version.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  6. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    From the H.E manual (p.28):

6.3 INTERACTIVE 5 BAND EQ ~ CH.1 & CH.2 - LOCATED ON TOP
    Braxendall Interactive & Musical Sounding EQ CW = Clockwise (right) to increase effect of Rotary Pot Controls from Centre position

ACW = Anti Clockwise (left) to reduce effect of Rotary Pot Controls from Centre Position, where you may be able to feel Centre Detents. Detents may not be felt due to long life "Heavy Feel" Pots used (potentiometers), that hold their position

[etc. Boldfaced text in original]

I have not used the predecessor product and cannot compare. But I do not feel the center detent "click" into place. More like a continuous smooth feel. The pots do hold their position. I've read the manual a few times. The writing is poor from a readability standpoint. It needs a strong edit to de-tangle the word flow. Otherwise the product seems solid. It's doing what I bought it for and so far, no negatives to report.

elmer likes this.
  7. elmer

elmer

Oct 1, 2004
    Finland
    Thanks Ukiah Bass. Yeah, the pots really have a "heavy feel" which would be a good thing if there would be enough room for your fingers to adjust the pots. Now there is not - especially in the eq-section. Fortunately the master vol pot is located alone to the right side so you can adjust and find it more easily on the fly.

8. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    The pot knobs may be small, but that is not a negative for me. There had to be engineering compromises to get the functionality into such a small form factor. While turning them may require a slightly delicate touch, how often are you turning them once you're dialed in for the session or gig?

Ric Vice likes this.
  9. elmer

elmer

Oct 1, 2004
    Finland
    You are right. I mainly need the master vol and that´s easily found. Like I said, this ease of use is all secondary compared to the sonic aspects which were good already in the EBD2.

10. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    I'm curious about the "Harmonic Enhanced Analogue Technology" (H.E.A.T.) -- particularly how it applies to the double bass. The manual (p. 33) says it's for "enabling greater clarity to be heard in ensembles." How does this work and apply, exactly? Or is it more for string instruments in a higher register like violin or viola?

logdrum likes this.
  11. logdrum

logdrum A person! Supporting Member

It enhances bowing reproduction to me. The air is more present. Kind of the high side of a Pultec EQ

Ric Vice likes this.
  12. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    So if you are double micing, you’d use this HEAT feature on the signal from a mic just above the end of the fingerboard? Might not be as useful for a mic 3 or 4 feet in front of the bass?

13. logdrum

It works on the piezo part better. I have a full circle and a Schertler STat-B vintage. I also only close mic, either ATM-350 or REMIC. In a studio that would be different but I will not use a the EBD-2 at that point, specially with room micing and other distance techniques. That's what dedicated EQs, channel strip and other outboard gear are for

Ukiah Bass likes this.
  14. Refa

Refa

Aug 5, 2013
    HI folks
    I just got my EDB2 H.E from thomann this week, there's noise coming up when I turned the master vol and gain knobs up around and after 11 o'clock. Its quite loud when I doing recording via apollo twin. Dose anyone got the some issue with me? I checked the some posts said that the previous EDB2 got some problems with "white noise". thx

15. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I’ve owned both the EDB-2 and now the Headway EDB-2 H.E. I have used it directly into my recording deck without any additional preamp. I’m not getting any noise. I’m using either a Line Audio CM3 or a Remic DB5400 as microphones. I’m using the Headway’s XLR out into the recording deck.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  16. logdrum

That was me. Are you using the XLR in. or Channel 1. Mine was defective. On XLR in - there was 9 volts DC even when the phantom power was off (which could destroy some ribbon mics ). The 11 volt was fluctuating and on 48v as well between 57 to 36. Switching it back to off did not drain the voltage. So I sent it back to them. It took 2.5 months (maybe because of COVID). Even the 1/4 input had some voltage also.

It hissed loudly on the XLR output and it ate batteries. Fresh batteries at 9.7 volt was 8.2 DC in 4 hours and when that happened the unit won't stay on. It's good now

They initially were reluctant to fix it because it was second hand and the seller did not help. After a couple emails they fixed it.

Unit is good now. It really does work as advertised. I have both EBD-2 and EBD-2 HE

17. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    LG Good to know you were able to get things sorted out. Yes, I'm using the Line Audio CM3 or Remic 5400 into the XLR input on Channel 2.

18. logdrum

Also if you have a pickup like the Schertler stat-b pickup, the EBD-2 also puts 11v on Channel 1 and switchable to ring or tip (ring for the stat-b) and you don't need the preamp from Schertler which I found to be noisy. Apparently in Europe there are many pickups and electret devices that operate like that. I know someone who converted the XLR to 1/4 phono plug on his AKG to C411 contact mic and uses the EBD-2 to power up the mic.

19. Refa

Refa

Aug 5, 2013
    I did many ways as I could. Channel 1, 2 and XLR in, Line/ XLR out. also tried with battery and DC in both. they all do with the hiss, but channel 2 and battery on with less noise.
    The pickup I use is realist bass copperhead btw.
    I am decided to send it back, wish they will cover my shipping fee.

thx @logdrum n @Ric Vice for sharing. x

20. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    That's always been one of the issues with purchasing a preamp that's manufactured in another country. Headway is to small a company to have authorized repair locations in different countries.

Inside the EDB-2 (older version) it's well built, but from looking at it's miniature boards and controls, only some of the components can be repaired by a technician. After a certain point, it's

just easier to replace the whole unit.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021