1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Coming to the dark side

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Alixinchains, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Hi everyone,
    I've been lurking here for about a month I guess. Learning a lot! I'm a 20+ guitar player, and sometime in the last 5 years or so I've just sort of fallen out of love with it. I hit a wall with my playing some time ago and I've just never gotten beyond it. But the itch was still there. I had had a Taurus 5 string for a while that I got as part of a trade, and really liked fiddling with it at the time, so I thought hey, maybe switch to bass and see? So that's where I'm at now, awaiting delivery impatiently, drooling over all your expensive toys, and being blown away by what is being done on this instrument. I'm really looking forward to learning from you all and making some new friends. Happy New Year folks :)

Bunan and catcauphonic like this.
  2. Yes, happy New Year. The learning curve for bass is not all that hard if you've had guitar experience. We don't strum, but, play the notes of the chord one at a time. Your sheet music you were using still works - see a chord play it's roots. Want a little more play the 5th of the root. Want a little more play the octave 8 for R-5-8-5 to the beat of the kick drum. That'll get you by for this first year. After that you will have picked up enough stuff to keep you going for a life time.

Have fun and Happy New Year.

P.S. Yep, you do have to do your scales. F at the 4th string, 1st fret. G at the 4th string, 3rd fret, A at the 4th string 5th fret. I use the major scale box for all this. Post # 14 on this site goes into detail. How to get started?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  3. Awesome, thank you!