1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Commonly required set-up items on Shen SB80

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by gtrandbass, May 10, 2006.

1. gtrandbass

gtrandbass

Jun 12, 2005
    I decided to start a new thread on this even this is related to my previous thread on selecting between EM-1 and Strunal 50/1.

A stock SB80 has an adjustable bridge and obviously good strings and endpin already so this bass does not need a "set-up" for correcting these things.

In addition to above which are the things that commonly require attention in a professional set-up on this bass?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sometimes the fingerboard might need planed. But I doubt a Shen does. Yeah, that's about it for a setup.

3. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    ALL new basses can benefit greatly from a setup.

4. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i feel the same way.
    a setup is like just doing some custom tailoring to a player...fingerboard shape and string height and spacing....i wasn't too crazy about the bridge that was on my shen so i had that replaced, when i got it setup....get it setup!!

EDIT: your luthier should be able to tell what it needs.

5. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    These do not come with an adjustable bridge. The selling shop installs it. Also, the fingerboard must be dressed, soundpost fitted, nut set-up, and tailpiece wire set.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Even a Shen? I thought Shens were playable right out of the box.

7. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    Sorry to burst your bubble Jimmy. They are better than some...but still need the full treatment before they can go out the door. We treat them like everything else though and strip off all the parts and upgrade everything. Uptonized!

8. gtrandbass

gtrandbass

Jun 12, 2005
    Good info, tks for taking your time to reply!

Wouldn't it make sense (at least in my case due to very limited funds available) to get the bass as economically as possible (with interest-free financing from a mailorder company), play it for a while and then determine what it needs setupwise -- or to pay for a full setup prior to shipment perhaps including things I would not even need?

This Shen model comes with adjustable bridge btw.

9. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Is this similar to ebonized?

10. arnoldschnitzer

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    Nope.

11. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I would recommend maybe not getting it setup from a mail order company, but finding a good luthier to both set it up well and sell it to you.

If you save too many pennies, all you will have to choose from is junk.

That being said, your luthier giving it a good set up may end up being cheaper in the long run.

When you buy something that is not set up well, it then becomes your problem to get it set up well. In my opinion, there are just not that many competent luthiers around the country, they also don't all specialize in bass, and don't know how to do things right.

Some of the luthiers on this board set up basses for your bass heros and would be the ones to support. If your pocketbook is hurting, negotiate.

Also do this, when you are calling around to get prices on your shen, ask what a full setup would cost at all the different shops you call and what that would entail.

Then take the lowest bid and the highest bid and add them together because the first guy you take it to with the lowest bid will not do it right, and you will have to take it somewhere else to get it fixed.

Best of luck to you.

12. gtrandbass

gtrandbass

Jun 12, 2005
    Alex, I fully understand what you are saying. A pro setup on a bass will certainly benefit any player!

I really need to think now whether it is the right time for me to buy an instrument or not. We probably talk about $200 difference between custom setup vs factory setup Shen here. Do you know if any luthiers offer financing? Music123 for example does, not that I endorse them, ha ha.

The other thing here naturally is (I am an engineer, LOL) that by buying the bass from a non-local respected luthier would put me into a pretty similar situation as when buying from a mail order company -- I would have not been able to see or try the instrument before the purchase!

I keep on thinking all these issues and I hope I'll be able to make my mind up soon.

tks
    JS

PS: Arnold -- I PMd you with a copy of an email I received from the Sales Mrg at Shen -- he confirms (he has no reason to lie?) that SB80 comes with an adjustable bridge.

13. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I wouldn't buy a bass on credit. just rent and wait if you have to.

I have never heard of a luthier offering credit, you can get unsecured credit through your local union's credit union sometimes or through a credit card.

You expect a loan like that for $4000 to cost you depending on your interest rate from $350 a month for a 1 year loan estimating around 6% interest. It is basically like putting a couple extra months savings down if you pay it off over a year's time.

The main problem with these kinds of loans is that you probably can't get 6% because your bank will view it as having nothing to repossess, they are not in the business of foreclosing on Basses and don't understand their value.

Gotta due what you gotta do, but nobody likes a monkey over their back when things turn south and you have to sell the bass at a loss and end up with several hundred dollars you still owe the bank.

Good luck with all that, you might find a loan calculator on the web where you can play with the numbers. Watch out for variable interest rates, loan origination fees and 20% interest on your credit card.

Check out Bankrate.com for some deals.

Edit: Buying from a reputable shop like the guys above is a real good idea. Maybe fly out to check a bass out.

Here's another idea, road trip to cincinatti and check out the bass sellar and nick lloyd.

14. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    Funny.

15. arnoldschnitzer

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    I got a copy of an e-mail from John Sprague, sales manager for Shen. Guys, don't hate him just 'cause he's a drummer.:D
    So it seems that Music 123 buys their 80's from Shen with an adjustable bridge and fingerboard dressing. If this work is done at the CSC shop then I'm sure it's fine. I stand somewhat corrected.:eyebrow: