1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Comparing In-Ear Monitors with Ear Plugs for Noise Reduction

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Smallmouth_Bass, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    How does the sound insulation of custom molded in-ear monitors compare to that of custom molded ear plugs? Is it in the same ballpark when it comes to reducing the overall decibel levels?

2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    With my limited experience on ear plugs... yes.

3. TedH

TedH

Dec 6, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    Effectively the same if molded and the same level plug (e.g. -15db). The biggest difference to me iss the plugs are soft and the IEMs plastic (with far more sonic clarity), so they feel a little bit different when talking/singing.

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    My custom molded Westone ear plugs (not IEMs) are not soft, nor were the Emtechs I had previously.

5. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    The custom molded earplugs I have now that I have been using for something like 20 years are soft and comfortable to wear for many hours.

6. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Both plugs and 'phones can be purchased w/ a range of noise reduction—typically from ~15 to mid/high 20s dB reduction. Manufacturer sites for both molded earplugs and earphones typically list the dB specs for noise reduction.

s0c9 likes this.