1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

complete newbie help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hardcore unity, Jul 30, 2005.

1. hardcore unity

hardcore unity

Jul 30, 2005
    well ive been playin drums for a few years and i think its time for me to possibly try a new insterment. i want a decent bass and a deacent amp. im lookin at a standerd fender p-bass. i would like to play hardcore like madball and comeback kid and bane and death before dishoner. so yeah how long do u think it would take me to get pretty good like be able to play in a band. so basiccly i need a denchent bass and amp and how long does it normally take to get good enough to play in a band.
    thanks yalls :help :bassist:

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    this can vary,but i think one year is the average with passion and dedication.

3. some people just arn't umm.. naturall musicians. I know people that have been playing guitar for 4 years and still suck. If your a good drummer you probably won't have any trouble. When your ready to play in a band depends also depends on the skill level of the other musicians. If its a couple of friends who are starting out too, you could be ready to play in a band in a week. I agree with the poster before me that you'll probably be skilled enough to play in a decent band in a bout a year. Good luck/welcome to TB.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    A P bass bass or a Jazz bass would both work well. The guy from Madball plays a Music Man Stingray, so that, or one of their lower end ones would nail that sound. Back when I was frequenting hardcore shows I'd see lots of Fenders, but also ESP, Jackson and Ibenez stuff.