Composition

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by bbass75, Jan 22, 2009.

1. bbass75

bbass75

Dec 14, 2008
    NYC
    Janek,

I was curious as to what your background in composition was before you came up with all of the tunes for Mystery to Me. Were you constantly composing before or did you just start hearing these melodies and have the ability to create compositions out of them? What do you believe it takes to be a good composer and what do you think led you to be able to hear the melodies that you do and compose in a unique way?

On a different note, how long did it take you to compose all the tunes and then have them rehearsed, recorded, and released?

Thanks so much for everything so far Janek, I know I've been posting quite a bit here but I can't tell you how much of a difference it's made in my motivation and inspiration. Thanks again!

James

2. bbass75

bbass75

Dec 14, 2008
    NYC
    Tiny bump just incase, I know you're busy though, no rush :bag:

3. janekbass

janekbass Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    I was always writing before that album. Mystery to Me didn't just pop into my head unfortunately. I wish it was that easy.

it took about a month to put together a rough sketch of the album, and then a few weeks to arrange and orchestrate the songs for the musicians I had hired for the date.

I rehearsed on wed for around 3hrs, tracked the entire album live in one take on thurs in front of a studio audience, mixed it on friday in 10hrs, took a day to listen to it all on sat, and mastered it on sunday at the hit factory. I sent it off to be pressed on monday, and the first box of CD's was delivered to me in Europe in the middle of a tour about two weeks later.

Easy,

Janek

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021