Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

COMPRESSION and EQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stretch474, Nov 3, 2003.

1. stretch474

stretch474

Jun 18, 2003
    Im using a dual channel graphic eq as the eq on my bass it astoundingly unversitile. If I boost the low it just booms and there is no clarity, if i cut the lows it sounds empty, if I leave it flat it sounds like it's in a shoe box.

Im trying out an alesis nanocomp to see if I can boost the bass but with restriction to try and get an even sound without any frequencies sticking out like a sore thumb (excuse the pun).

Im a slap player and I feel that it is extremely important to get that nice clean even Marcus Milleresque tone.

Can anyone help me with any of it

Chris

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Since compression is an effect, and EQ can be considered one(at least outboard EQs can) I am moving this to Effects.

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I run a dual eq too, why do you have a dual eq? Also explain your gear to me, head, cab, and bass's. My rig sounds awesome with it, how do you have it hooked up?

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    strings too.

5. stretch474

stretch474

Jun 18, 2003
    My bass is a modified Peavey. Ive taken the EMG humbuckers from a hohner b2a steinberger licenced bass and bunged em in. The strings are ELITE 30-90s. Im using a phonic para EQ dual channel unfortunatley my amp is ****e, it's a marshall B25 MKII practice and with extreme limitations. I've adapted it so that it has a DI output to go through a PA and I use the amp itself purely for foldback. I got an alesis nanocompressor.

In terms of wiring I am attempting to use channel one as a contour shape direct from the bass, into the compressor, then use channel 2 as a final eq as the amp is terrible, but I cant seem to get a decent sound no matter what I do. Any clues?????

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I use DI and PA just to fill not as my main rig. So, what I would try is to go bass to EQ to DI to PA. Why, because the PA and DI are very limited to how you can EQ it, so I would eq before the DI. Jack your lows and highs a little to where it almost looks like a smily face on the EQ. Then run the EQ on the PA and DI(if it has an EQ) flat. Most of your Eq'ing should be done with the Eq board and bass before going into the DI and PA. That's how I have mine set up but I have a regular head and cab instead of a DI and PA. A lot has to do with the PA too, speakers and amp. The better those are the better the sound. I would get some 18's and a good amp.

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Compressors, I hate them! I would only add it once you get your tone dialed in.

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Another thought is just get a DI box, that's why it sounds like crap, you said you modified a practice amp to be a DI, that can't be very good. MX-80's are realtively cheap and have a cool stomp box on it with distortion that sounds good. You can pick one up on line for about $130.00. Then I would go Bass-EQ-DI-PA and it would sound great. The DI and Eq would pre amp your signal a bit too.