Compression and you

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by raul, Oct 26, 2011.

1. raul

raul

Aug 30, 2006
    Planet Earth
    first, congrats on the new your #1 on the Electronic charts eleganza! that's awesome! and the record is super amazing!

ok...how important is compression to you as far as live performance goes? geez, howsabout in general? i know, i've read that you like minimal compression. but, do you have a compressor that you have on always for live shows? or sometimes for recording? maybe a compressor that's super good at what it does and doesn't detract tone so much? if so...what is that compressor? i'm thinking it's the Aguilar TLC...am i right? or am i wrong-o?

please, JMJ tell me. and be gentle. i want to be coddled by your talk of compression...

2. I'm a little curious myself. I don't use compression on my amp itself, but I feel that without some on the mic it sounds a little to uh...loose.

3. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Aguilar thing is nice, just use it sparingly. Let your hands do the work. Otherwise, compression just chokes me too much. I'd rather control my own playing dynamics. Nigel Godrich would certainly agree, on all the recording I've done with him...

4. raul

raul

Aug 30, 2006
    Planet Earth
    check...good to know. i like the work you've done with Nigel, of course...i take it not much compression going on there? cool...i guess it's true, it's all in the hands...sort of...i've kinda been racking my little ole brains on whether or not to get a compressor...still, on the fence, haha...

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021