Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compressor, Do I need one?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Liquid477, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Liquid477

Liquid477

Jan 23, 2006
    To be honest I have never used one, but hear about about them once in a while. I just bought a pretty good rig (swr 750x and golliath senior 6x 10). Is it recommended that I get one?

2. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    depends on your technique, and on the sound you are after.

theory is that it evens you the level during playing, so you get a more phat/punchy/constant level

but also used in extremme settings if squashes your sound (a-la- les claypool) and also it takes some of the sensitivity on your playing.

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    You have to try some yourself, and it see it is what you are looking for.

Some people would never play without one.

I have tried, but I still have not found one I liked.
    If I compress to much, I hate the tone. If I compress too little, it adds nothing - but another failure point in my signal path.

But, again, you should decide for yourself.

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    If you don't know if you need it, chances are you don't, I have one for my Ampeg, I used it a couple of times and now it just an expensive rack spacer.
    It's built in on my Eden.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I like my Compulator very much. That's mainly because it's in a spangly box.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Beat me to it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

They can be pretty handy, however. I recently acquired a small compressor (Alesis Nanocomp), and I find it useful when I go between slap and fingerstyle playing within the same song. Before this current band, however, I've never needed on as I've only played fingerstyle. It depends on the situation and the dynamics of what's going on.