1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

compressor?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by engage757, Sep 28, 2009.

1. engage757

engage757 Banned

Hey guys, I just got my first G&L! it is an L2000 and man, let me tell you, this thing is hot! my amps are clipping like crazy at higher volumes. any idea if a compressor would help out at all?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It might, but turning it down works just as well. Usually, when active basses are too hot, it's because someone is diming the tone controls instead of leaving them flat and using the tone controls as occasional EQ. So my question is are you diming the tone controls?

3. engage757

engage757 Banned

ah, you know what? I think I might be pushing thm a bit too far... so maybe eq the head flat and roll with the bass' eq?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Personally, I would do the opposite. Get the sound you like with your amp, and leave the bass controls flat. Then use the bass controls for minor tweaks here and there as you need them.