Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compressors

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by StuBass, Jan 27, 2004.

1. StuBass

StuBass

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I'm rebuilding my rig piece by piece and first step is a rack mount compressor. I've looked at the DBX 160A($1100 Australian) the Really Nice Compressor ($500 Aus) and a Behringer($300 Aus). The DBX is probably overkill but I could spend more than the Behringer. Anyone tried the RNC or others in the $300-$500 Aus price range? Cheers!

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I have both the RNC and the DBX 160A. The RNC is very tranparent. A really beautiful compressor. I love it on drums and vocals, but not bass. Not enough umph. It is difficult to use live since the knobs are so sensitive and very interactive. (Ok for sound guys since s/he is not trying to play bass and adjust controls at the same time!) The dbx sounds great. It has an old school thickness that I really like. Easy to use since you can only set the threshold, ratio, and gain.

3. StuBass

StuBass

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I had a feeling the DBX would be "The Stuff". I guess I could save for one but a lot of guys I know are using much cheaper units with good results, mostly the behringer.

4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    The Behringer works just fine for Bass.

5. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I use an RNC at the FOH and I'm very happy with the results. :bassist:
    For the money I think this thing is hard to beat.

6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Any dbx compressor works fine with bass. I use both channels of my 266XL, sounds awesome. If you can get a dbx, go for it!!!

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'm using the RNC in the effects loops of both my SansAmp RBI and Eden combo. Very transparent but can also do the "squash" thing by tweaking the ratio and attack / release settings. The unit does have the tendency to distort bass frequencies when using short release times; I run mine @ >0.5 seconds.

8. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    DBX 163X!!! I have had mine in ye olde rack for about a year now and it rocks my world every night.... Give me a super phat super clean tone, it has that great old school tone without the pump... Plus it helps you cut through the mix without all them nasty mids ;) , and they can be readly found for 50 clams on e-bay...

Alex

9. StuBass

StuBass

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Damn!! I was hoping someone would get the DBX idea out of my head!
    Thanks for the input guys I guess I'll have to start cruising E-bay.

10. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I have a PreSonus ACP-22. I love this thing. It's the best compressor I've tried on bass - OK so I've only tried Behringer (and returned it). It's really transparent. $299 at MusiciansFriend. You may want to check one of these out too.