Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbob, Aug 15, 2004.

1. metalbob

Aug 2, 2004
    so california
    :hyper: :bassist: need help deciding on a good compressor i like the dbx but would like to hear some other opinions
  2. would this go in effects?
  3. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    If you want a pedal, I know that the Keekey Compressor works well. If its a rack unit your after, I'm pleased with my BBE MaxCom (compressor & sonic maximizer in one unit)
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It would help if you explained what you want it for (live, studio, both? type of music, etc.). dbx makes a number of compressors from cheap to $$$$$$$, which one do you "like"?
  5. metalbob

Aug 2, 2004
    so california
    :hyper: :bassist: :ninja: well the compressor would be mostly for live siuations i want to even out my sound and i dont care for the compressor that is built in my bbe maxt i would prefer a dbx perhaps
  6. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001

Well, the DBX is nice, but should be for the $$$ you pay. In that range, I'd much prefer the Empiracal Labs Distressor.
  7. bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    The EBS compressor sounds relly good
  8. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I've been using a Aphex Punch Factory with my Mod Q5/ EA rig. It's a terrific, easy to use compressor that sounds natural and never squashy. When you consider how little it costs, it goes from terrific to fabulous. It is ugly though...but that's a minor point considering how good it is.
  9. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    I agree. I have one as well and am quite pleased with it.
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    why not the wee little RNC? small, handy, and pretty darn transparent. great for the mo'.
  11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The RNC is pretty good, but doesn't work so well with a 5 string. There is considerable distortion at low frequencies, which increases as you shorten the time constants (and that would probably be true for "all" compressors). DBX's are great, they're industry standards, but they're mostly rack mount units. I like the EBS MultiComp, it has three selectable types of compression, and they all sound good. Nice little pedal.
  12. I love the tones the Aphex 661 can give. Very nice compression without any wavering or muddyness.

Very cheap too.