Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Computer Adapter

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Whats that computer adapter where you plug your bass into it and then straight into the computer? If anyone knows, wher can I buy it. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    1/4" -> 1/8"

You can get them at radioshack.

unless you have some form of preamp or amplification though, you won't be able to record.

3. What you mean by this? You saying you need a preamp or like a lil amp that you can plug it into the headphones/line out jack? I plug straight into the computer and can record.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Basically, unless you have amplification of some kind, be it, internal on your bass(preamp) outboard preamp, outboard DI, amplifier, or software based amplification. you won't get a strong enough signal to record. My bass has an active circuit, I can plug direct and get a tiny signal, which I can amplify enough(by adjusting the external mic sensitivity on my computer) to get a pretty decent signal.

But, I use Garageband now, which has software amplification, which does all the work for me.

There are soundcards that have built in amplification, and as such, plugging direct will give you a strong, easily recordable signal.

(also, you spelled raisins wrong in your user title)

5. wow, i plug my all passive MIM jazz into the mic in via 1/4 -> 1/8 and the signal is extremely strong.

stupid mac user :rolleyes:

:smug:

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    what type of soundcard do you have? what recording software do you use?

As for the stupid mac user comment, I wasn't aware windows came free with advanced unlimited track audio/midi recording software with built in amplification and effects. :oops:

7. a cheap 10 dollar walmart 32 bit sound card. windows sound recorder.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    As I said, many soundcards these days provide the means to amplify your signal.

As long as something is amplifying your signal, you will get a good clear sound, but, without that, it would record and sound not unlike playing unplugged.

9. stupid mac elitest :smug:

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The few, the proud, the hieroglyphics.

11. I had a feeling you said that because you had a mac.

12. You could get one of those M-Audio Audiobuddy things. I think you need at least a 2 channel sound card for it to work

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    has nothing to do with having a mac. In fact, getting a mac today makes things a lot easier to do recording because of garageband.

14. odie

odie Supporting Member

recording gear?

15. ok, heres the deal. I got a 1/4/1/8 adapter. I have everything plugged in. Im running my bass to my amp, and the apms headphone out to the computers headphone plug with my adapter. I go to Sound recorder, hit record, have all my volume controls up, and i get nothing. Whats going on? What setting does it need to ber on? Auxilary, Stereo Mix, Line in, Microphone, TAD-In? Also does my computer have a sound card? If so, where is it? I have a Dell Dimension 4600.

16. Go to your master control settings and unmute the mic.

17. Volume Control? If thats not it can you tell me how to get to master controls?

18. In the bottom right corner of your taskbar (assuming you have windows), double click on the little speaker to open it up. If you don't see the Microphone control there, go to Options-->Properties and check the Microphone box and hit "Ok" and the microphone controls should come up. Uncheck the mute box and it should work (assuming your plugging into the Microphone jack on your computer).

Peace,
    Tyler

[edit] Just noticed I had said "Master Control" in previous post which is what threw you off.

19. Thanks, I did that. I'm plugging into the headphone jack on the front of my computer. Is that the same thing? Where is the microphone jack? Where am I supposed to be plugging into?

20. I always plug into the microphone jack on my computer. Should be in the back, might be a pink jack or have a little microphone symbol below or above it. I really couldn't tell ya unless I saw a pic of the back of the computer.