1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Computer drum programs

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Mar 30, 2006.

1. In your experience, what is the best program for setting up drum tracks on computer?

I'm recording a lot of stuff with guitars and basses on my computer, but I need to make some natural sounding drum tracks to go with them. I have used PC Drummer and Fruity Loops, exporting the tracks as wave files and putting them in my recording program. However, both programs sound very artificial, especially for rock recordings. No program I've tried seems to sound halfway decent for crash or open hi-hat hits. Obviously nothing can replace the real thing, but I want to have a good idea of what it would sound like with real drums, without having to go to my drummer's house after every recording.

2. I use Mackie Traction 2 and it came with the Linplug RMIV drum vst, works from midi and step sequencer. Works pretty well.
    I have found loops to be good also, but nothing will replace a real drummer.
    You could work on your EQing of the drums for starts, but you've probalby done that.
    Get a good crash sample you like and instert it on another track where you want it, could be an option.
    DAW recording is becoming an art in it's own right IMO.

3. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    For realistic drum sounds, these days it's hard to beat fxpansion's BFD or Toontrack's Drumkit From Hell series. Both are hefty (in sample content, system requirements, and price!) but they sound great when properly "played" or sequenced (ie, making use of velocity layers and a natural (not drum-machine-accurate) feel.)

http://www.fxpansion.com/ http://www.toontrack.com/index_samples.shtml

4. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    Rayzoon's Jamstix Virtual Drummer is the most amazing software I've seen in a while. The support is also great. Try the demo and listen to the sample tunes or just buy it for $99 US.