Computer Recording (Diagram) ?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Bass -> Mixer -> Soundcard -> Computer

Is that how recording works? Or does a microphone need to go into the mixer and mic the bass amp? I dont have the mixer or the soundcard yet, I am just looking for an understanding of how it works. If I got a multi channel mixer would I beable to plug in a Mic(vocal)x2, bass, and 2 guitars into it? And record in my basement?

I also have Tracktion and Cakewalk.
  2. I stumbled upon this site recently... GREAT RESOURCE!!

While there, register to use the forums. There's a lot of information to be had there as well.
  3. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Excellent site, thank you for the link. Seriously.

4. That's how it works assuming you're playing an active bass, in which case you can just run the 1/4" instrument cable into the mixer. If it's a passive, you're going to need either a DI box to go between the bass and mixer, or to take a line out of the back of your amp.

Conversely, yes you could also mic the bass cab. Heck, you could do both the direct line and the mic, and blend them together.

Also, this is a bit nitpicky, but you should in theory be monitoring off of your computer rather than off the bass or mixer.

Re your mixer, yes you'd be able to do that but realize you won't be getting seperate tracks on your computer unless you get a soundcard with multiple inputs/outputs. That means whatever you mix is on the board is going to be the one you're stuck with for the recording, you won't be able to mix it afterwards on your computer.
  5. okay lets see the updated diagram:

Attached Files:

6. Yep, looks good to me.