computer recording gear?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jake_tim, Oct 30, 2005.

1. jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    in advance
    **I searched and coudln't find anything**
    anyway,i am wanting to record my bass onto my computer, i cant really find anyhting that suites my needs. I am lookign for somthign that i could just plug into, that connects to my computer, then record it using software. I was looking at that new thing Line 6 has, at musicians friend, but my computer specs arent good enough to run it. So now i am lookign for other products to do this with. I am a complete newbie to recording btw. looking to spend 100-200 tops.

thanx in advance

2. Dugz Ink

Dugz Ink

Oct 23, 2005
    Then maybe you could give us your computer's specs, so we don't recommend even more gear that won't work with your computer. What type of chip, how much RAM, which operating system...
  3. jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    i have a dinosuar, Windows Xp, 1.2GHZ celeron, 128mb pc133 ramm, regualr usb ports, no firewire. 30 gigabyte. i think that may be all you need

4. Dugz Ink

Dugz Ink

Oct 23, 2005
    The M-Audio Mobile-Pre should work with your computer. The maximum resolution and rate is 16/48, but that's all you want to try to push through a USB connection and/or that computer.

The Tascam US224 Workstation looks pretty cool, but Tascam doesn't list any "minimum" requirements anywhere, so I have no idea if it will get along with your computer. However, it does come with Cubase LE, which is a decent sequencer... and that software might run on your computer.
  5. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    You might also look at the TASCAM US122. I don't have one myself, but a friend does and it works well. Well enough that it is one of my options for purchasing this type of device. ;)
  6. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

If you're really cheap, the line-in on your soundcard (the lightish-blue port usually) actually does a fairly okay job recording bass. It's not breathtaking, but it gets the job done for starters without sounding like a toy. Also, Audacity is a freeware recording studio with a fairly basic interface, unlimited number of tracks, and some cool effects with VST capability (seperate download), and that combined works as well as any cheapo recording unit until you can save up for some major upgrades. The best part? The most you'll spend is three bucks on a little 1/4"-1/8" adaptor for the line in.

Again, for raw starters, a great introduction to recording.