1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Condensor Mics for recording rehearsal

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by marstouguide, Jan 18, 2012.

1. marstouguide

marstouguide

Aug 20, 2007
    toronto
    I am currentlly looking for a mic. to record rehearsals live off the floor(drums,bass, guitar, sax) in a relativelly small room and be somewhat versatile for individual recording applications.
    I have a small PA and a Yamaha audigram 3.
    Budjet is $100 -$200

The mic will likely be set in the middle of the room.
    After a little research I realize I may need an omnidirectionall mic.
    The Beringer B1 is a good price and easily had for me but its cardiod.

Will this mike do the trick and if not is there a decent omnidirectional mic. someone can recomend.

Thanks!

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What are you going to record with?

Take a look at the Zoom H2n. Or pretty much any of the Zoom handheld recorders. I use an H4n all the time for exactly what you describe and it's great. My drummer has an H2 that does great stuff as well.

3. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    to pick up from that, you could look at the Zoom Q3HD as well,

in that one you get the HD video ability as well as good quality Stereo Audio.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

His budget limit is $200 so that eliminates the Q3HD. Zoom has a $99 recorder you can find at Best Buy. I have a H2 and it's a great recorder. Place it on a mic stand in the middle (or in a position to capture all instruments and vocals equally) of the band at rehearsal. I've gotten some great recordings.

5. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    Agreed, have a little tascam recorder that works great, i think it cost ~$110. Very simple to use, and you can plug it into a computer via USB as just grab the MP3s of what you recorded.

If you want a good cheap mic that could be used for multitrack recording later on, I really like the Audio Technica 2020s and 2021s, a medium diaphragm and a small. I've used both in spread pair, ORTF, or XY forations as overheads on drums, and they always sound really quite good. Not like a great mic, but totally cool. Good luck!

6. Check out the Tascam DR-40 for $199. On board condenser mics as well as XLR/instrument inputs for two more mics or instruments. Can record 4 tracks simultaneously.

7. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    AKG C1000-S

8. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    maybe the behry B2 PRO, omni and 8-figure capsule (captures from both sides of the capsule)

9. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I just ordered the Bluebird by Blue. Bought it at PROAUDIOSTAR. Its normally 299 but you may get it cheaper from them. I've seen them used for 170.00
    But Im talking ahead of myself cause I didn't get it yet but its on its way. You can check them out on youtube. On a budget and not asking for much but to listen and get idea's on the music you are doing the sm58 is a do all type mic. But the portable recorders will do the job also. Not sure of the equipment you are using.