Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Confused about OHMS????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by C-5KO, Nov 2, 2005.

1. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Ok.

If I run my Peavey DPC 1400, into my 8 Ohm Genz Benz, and in the second channel run a 4 Ohm cab, will this be a problem?

How about if I chain the cabs? I'm guessing people buy 2 x 8 Ohm cabs for a reason... I've never chained my cabs, never needed to, until recently where gigs require more stage volume.

2. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    ok... i think i've answered my own question?

peavey says:

# 1400 watt advanced technology amplifier with 700 watts (rms) per channel at 2 ohms, 500 watts (rms) at 4 ohms
    # 375 watts (rms) per channel at 8 ohms

So my GB would be running 375 watts at 8 ohms, and the 4 ohm cab would be running 500 watts in the second channel?

Ok... here's a new question now - will the power amp run an 8 ohm in one channel and a 4 ohm in the other, or will that cause problems?

3. Correct.

No problem running two different loads on the amp, the channels are independent.

4. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    And if you run them off one channel the combined load is 2.66 Ohms, so still no problem.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you want a lot of ohms info you can go to the FAQ sticky and click on the ohms and impedance link.

but i think the ansers you got already solve your dilemma. ;)