1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Conklin (Bill Dickens) model BD-7 Pickups question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by drdog, Mar 12, 2016.

1. drdog

drdog

Apr 17, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have the Conklin 7 string bass (Bill Dickens model BD7) with the stock BARTOLINI pickups that come with it.
    I want to convert the 7 string bass to a 6 string.
    Will these particular pickups still sense the strings when I spread the now 6 strings across the width of what used to be 7 strings?
    Does anyone know what kind of pole pieces are in this particular Bartolini pickup?
    Are the pole pieces a "blade type" or are they individual pole pieces (one for each string)?
    If they are individual pole pieces (one for each string), am I correct to assume that when going from 7 string to 6 string, I will have some "dead" strings due to some of the strings not aligning with the individual pole pieces?

Has anyone out there ever converted their Bill Dickens BD7 (or more specifically, GTBD7) to a 6 string with any success?

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    These pickups are the Bart G6/7 shape and are split P inside with rails, not poles. Run a cutoff bass string across the tops and you'll see. The G 7 pickups have the split offset whereas the G6 has it centered. Not really interchangeable.

3. drdog

drdog

Apr 17, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I am very sorry, but I'm not really all that technical I dont think I understand what you're saying. Are you saying that converting to a 6-string will not work with my 7 string pickups? Can you please elaborate with more what you mean. Sorry I don't quite get what you're saying. Thank you for your help. :)

4. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    They would prob work ok with 5 string but pretty wide or slanted with 5 string.
    Diff between BD7 and G 7 ???

5. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Split pickups like these have a gap between the 2 coils. On the G7 it is not in the center so using them on six strings may have one string over that gap and it will not be as loud as the others. G6 pickups have the gap centered so there are 3 strings over each coil. They would not work with 7 strings as the center string would be in the gap.

6. drdog

drdog

Apr 17, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ok I see now. Sounds like I would not be able to use the same pickups then. I will have to investigate replacing the pickups to if I choose to do this. Thank you for your help.

7. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Welcome