1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Conklin GT5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbone0813, Aug 10, 2005.

1. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    Anybody have any opinions/experience/likes/dis-likes on the Groove Tools 5 basses? How are the electronics & bridge? Does anyone know what the string spacing is on them? Thanks. :bassist:

2. I have one of the newer versions of the GT-5, with the 3-band (Mighty Mite?) pre and Bartolini MK-1 pickups. For the most part, I think it's a great bass for the money. Body is Swamp Ash, the neck is a 5 piece Wenge/Purpleheart laminate with a Purpleheart fretboard. They come with either a flamed or quilted top. Mine is quilted.

I had an issue with the electronics about a year after I bought it. It got very noisy. It was picking up some sort of interference. It varied depending on venue. I thoroughly checked connections, grounds, etc. No luck. I ultimately replaced the control cavity crap (wiring NIGHTMARE)with an OBP-3. HUGE difference. I love it now. It's my main go-to bass, for several reasons.

Not sure what you wanna know about the bridge. It does it's job. I did have a problem with a burr on the B string saddle. I finally took care of that after I popped a few B strings mid-gig. :rollno:

The spacing at the bridge is 17mm. A bit too tight for me. I deal with that because I do love the bass, however.

I think it's an excellent bass, excellent value. Fit and finish were top notch, overall. I've never heard of anyone else having an electronics issue, so I'm assuming mine was a rare lemon. I'm glad for it's lemon-ness too, because it gave me an excuse to upgrade to the OBP-3!!!

Anywho, I hope that helps! :hyper: