Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin GT5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbone0813, Aug 10, 2005.

1. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    Anybody have any opinions/experience/likes/dis-likes on the Groove Tools 5 basses? How are the electronics & bridge? Does anyone know what the string spacing is on them? Thanks. :bassist:

2. I have one of the newer versions of the GT-5, with the 3-band (Mighty Mite?) pre and Bartolini MK-1 pickups. For the most part, I think it's a great bass for the money. Body is Swamp Ash, the neck is a 5 piece Wenge/Purpleheart laminate with a Purpleheart fretboard. They come with either a flamed or quilted top. Mine is quilted.

I had an issue with the electronics about a year after I bought it. It got very noisy. It was picking up some sort of interference. It varied depending on venue. I thoroughly checked connections, grounds, etc. No luck. I ultimately replaced the control cavity crap (wiring NIGHTMARE)with an OBP-3. HUGE difference. I love it now. It's my main go-to bass, for several reasons.

Not sure what you wanna know about the bridge. It does it's job. I did have a problem with a burr on the B string saddle. I finally took care of that after I popped a few B strings mid-gig. :rollno:

The spacing at the bridge is 17mm. A bit too tight for me. I deal with that because I do love the bass, however.

I think it's an excellent bass, excellent value. Fit and finish were top notch, overall. I've never heard of anyone else having an electronics issue, so I'm assuming mine was a rare lemon. I'm glad for it's lemon-ness too, because it gave me an excuse to upgrade to the OBP-3!!!

Anywho, I hope that helps! :hyper: